Hello from Chicago!

  • Thread starter Thread starter radguy105
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
1564622704278.gif
 
First time aquarium owner here! New to the hobby but the wife and I are excited to get started!

We inherited a set up from a friend who was moving and didn't want to ship everything to his new place. 90 gal display with a sump tank for below the stand, a couple lights, pumps, and a CO2 system, (oh and 110 lbs of gravel.) I'm still finalizing purchases of PVC fittings and looking for a good drain hose (have a 1.5in sch80 bulkhead for the drain) before we start putting everything together.

I have been lurking and reading and learning a ton...and am very excited to continue to read, learn and contribute!

Pictures will come once we get things working!

Plans are to stick with a planted freshwater setup, but it is nice to know the system we inherited has had success with coral!
Welcome you will go marine in the future every 1 does
 
Just a quick update...

Thank you for all of the welcomes! It truly is great to have the wife on-board, it makes explaining things like wanting to buy a new CO2 regulator easier :)

20191012_152902.jpg

20191116_093218.jpg


So far the plants are doing well. This is a lot more work than I originally thought when I accepted the gear, but it is worth it when we get to relax and look at the fish!
 
Welcome! I live in the western suburbs - lots of stores out here (some good, some not so good). If you go saltwater, let me know and I can make some suggestions. Good luck - we'll have to find a fish club around here.
Where in the suburbs?
I’m in the Naperville area.
 
I'm in Downers Grove. It'd be great if we could get some reefers together for vacation watching, frags, etc.
Agreed, some kind of frag swap would be great. Especially since I’m only 5 weeks into my first tank.
There’s so many fish stores within 20 minutes of me I’m sure there’s quite a few people within the reefing hobby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new