hello from eureka

Murdocmason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone in norcal just a shout out to see who's around. I'm here in eureka soon to be a 75 gal mixed reef owner. I'm still in the process of building the setup just wanted to see if anyone around has some used dry goods anyways happy reefing hope to see some peoples soon :)

Popain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up. I'm over in mount Shasta. I have been in the hobby about 5 years now. Went from a 5 gallon goldfish tank- 28 gallon salt/ fish only- 35 reef tank-55 reef tank- and then my limit of 135 gallon reef tank.

Popain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1382577141.344775.jpg

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, howd I miss this?! Im in Arcata, theres not many of us on the R2R.

there arent very many of us up here in NorCal, eithere... well there are, we just keep to ourselves and there isnt a "real" club. Aside from that, the stores up here are atrocious, and IMO, so I rarely make it in there and hardly meet folks there.

HAHA just realized, somebody grave robbed this thread!! over a year old! ha

reefersue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I live in southern Oregon. I started a 29g nano cube tank one week ago. I am seeing some brown and purple on my live rocks tonight. I have done a lot of research on the internet about reef tanks, but still don't understand much of what I am supposed to be doing...

DSC01968.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown is a diatom norm when cycling a new tank. Are you dosing ammonia, or using a raw table shrimp, or ghost feeding to cycle your tank? Now that you been up about a week i would start testing for ammonis, nitrite, and nitrates. Look for ammonia spike and its fall off to zero, also the spike and fall off of nitrites. When that occurs nitrates will begin to rise you then should do a water change and get a clean up crew, ie hermits, emerald crabs, snails in then give a week or two then you can add one or two fish but go slow to allow your bio filter to be able to compensate and keep up.

reefersue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing with ammonia

Brown is a diatom norm when cycling a new tank. Are you dosing ammonia, or using a raw table shrimp, or ghost feeding to cycle your tank? Now that you been up about a week i would start testing for ammonis, nitrite, and nitrates. Look for ammonia spike and its fall off to zero, also the spike and fall off of nitrites. When that occurs nitrates will begin to rise you then should do a water change and get a clean up crew, ie hermits, emerald crabs, snails in then give a week or two then you can add one or two fish but go slow to allow your bio filter to be able to compensate and keep up.

Hello,
Thank you for replying to my message. I used ammonia and DrTim's One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria last night. One hour after adding the ammonia to my tank (added one drop per gallon of tank water) I had 4 mg/L of ammonia. Today, I tested for ammonia and had zero. My nitrites were at zero. My nitrates were at 1 mg/L. Should I add the ammonia again tonight to feed the bacteria again? What level should my nitrates be when I do a water change? I want to make sure I have the right amount of beneficial bacteria before adding any live creatures to the tank.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have never cycled a tank with ammonia there are threads on doing it my last tank i ghost fed. I know you want to add every day i think but as far as it goes i suggest looking at the threads on here for doing it that way i dont want to steer you wrong.

reefersue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...I will look for more on this site about cycling a reef tank with ammonia. I found a few youtube videos on the topic of cycling with ammonia but everyone seems to say something different about it. Thank you for your time.

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. Another fellow Eurekan here. Would love to meet a few more humboldt reefers face to face. There's a small club that started meeting last month, doing a frag swap in a couple weeks. There's a buzz about doing a group buy soon, and it's nice to talk and see tanks with other folks that enjoy the same hobby. Check out the humboldt reef club Facebook page if you're interested.

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. Another fellow Eurekan here. Would love to meet a few more humboldt reefers face to face. There's a small club that started meeting last month, doing a frag swap in a couple weeks. There's a buzz about doing a group buy soon, and it's nice to talk and see tanks with other folks that enjoy the same hobby. Check out the humboldt reef club Facebook page if you're interested.

Sean Donohue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I moved to mckinleyville a couple months ago. Seems like there's hardly any reefers here... Let's make a community!
Sean

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i live in fortuna and just put up a 55 gallon about 4 weeks ago what do you guys think of fin and feather the tanks seemed clean i got a pair of clowns from there also a big chunk of live rock with couple different corals on it the guy helping said he runs the local reef club seemed like a pretty decent dude

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back