Hello from Greensboro, NC!

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm relatively new to the hobby, starting with a 5 gallon pico reef due to space constraints in my living arrangements, but I'm super excited to be getting back into reefing! I have never owned a reef of my own, but my family had a 120 gallon reef aquarium when I was growing up. I was absolutely captivated by it when I was young, sitting in front of the tank for hours after school each day. I developed a real love of the sea and marine life, and took a job after college where I actually worked as an environmental educator. In that job I also took care of my workplace's aquariums, a 200 gallon square, 40 gallon, five 20 gallons, and 10 gallon, primarily brackish aquariums where we housed wildlife from the estuary nearby, but a freshwater and proper saltwater as well. Learned a lot, loved that job, kept fish, inverts, algae, and the like, but didn't get a chance to really keep corals, other than a gorgonian that had washed up after a storm. That job whetted my appetite, and after a year of moves and uncertain living situations, I finally feel comfortable enough to finally get a reef of my own!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm relatively new to the hobby, starting with a 5 gallon pico reef due to space constraints in my living arrangements, but I'm super excited to be getting back into reefing! I have never owned a reef of my own, but my family had a 120 gallon reef aquarium when I was growing up. I was absolutely captivated by it when I was young, sitting in front of the tank for hours after school each day. I developed a real love of the sea and marine life, and took a job after college where I actually worked as an environmental educator. In that job I also took care of my workplace's aquariums, a 200 gallon square, 40 gallon, five 20 gallons, and 10 gallon, primarily brackish aquariums where we housed wildlife from the estuary nearby, but a freshwater and proper saltwater as well. Learned a lot, loved that job, kept fish, inverts, algae, and the like, but didn't get a chance to really keep corals, other than a gorgonian that had washed up after a storm. That job whetted my appetite, and after a year of moves and uncertain living situations, I finally feel comfortable enough to finally get a reef of my own!
Welcome!

Glad you joined!

OP
OP
LegalReefer

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Welcome! What sort of brackish wildlife?
Primarily estuarine species from the Carolina coastline. We got a lot of fry where we were, so I’ve raised lookdowns, Florida pompano, Atlantic spadefish, box puffers, oyster toadfish, filefish, blennies, mummichogs, silversides, souther flounder, sea robins, Atlantic bumpers, mullet, stargazers (beautiful fish!), gobies, sailfin mollies (had no idea they were native to the US!), and caught other cool things that we would release, like baby ballyhoo, baby remora, baby squid, baby sharks, baby stingrays, needlefish, baby bluefish, baby redfish, and evening baby tarpon once! Also kept button rock anemones, striped anemones, starfish, an urchin, colorful whip gorgonian, blue crabs, stone crabs, a particularly alluring spiny mudcrab, grass shrimp, porcelain crabs (invasive species apparently), Carolina pink shrimp, oysters, lightning whelk, knobbed whelk, channel whelk, and I’m probably forgetting some! We had amazing natural resources.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back