DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I will take all of you up on the offers to ask questions right away:

I will be on vacation in mid July and I do not want to put any fish in my tank until I get back. Assuming I get a tank soon, would it hurt anything to do the initial nitrogen cycle and then let the tank sit for another ~month? I would prefer to add the CUC after I get back too just in case something goes wrong while I am away, but would this leave the tank completely swamped in algae?

I am also fine getting everything setup, doing the dry run, and then draining, and starting to cycle once I get back if that is the best route.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming I get a tank soon, would it hurt anything to do the initial nitrogen cycle and then let the tank sit for another ~month?
If you read through #15 in the link I posted:
It sorts of says to actually do this. As long as you have an ATO running, or someone who can check it for your while you're gone, etc...fill it up and let it sit there and stew for a few months! Will you get algae? Undoubtedly, but not because you let it sit for a month. You just will...so accept that lol... it's natural and generally unavoidable, but I would not anticipate it to be swamped with it, unless you have no CUC and feed the tank and provide a lot of light

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read through #15 in the link I posted:

It sorts of says to actually do this. As long as you have an ATO running, or someone who can check it for your while you're gone, etc...fill it up and let it sit there and stew for a few months! Will you get algae? Undoubtedly, but not because you let it sit for a month. You just will...so accept that lol... it's natural and generally unavoidable, but I would not anticipate it to be swamped with it, unless you have no CUC and feed the tank and provide a lot of light

I did read the article you linked to, and my understanding is that it is stating, use live rock, wait 3 months, then add CUC / herbivores.

My plan was to use dry rock with a little bit of live rock, wait ~1.5 months, put in the CUC, then maybe a few weeks later a lawnmower blenny depending on the algae situation. Wait another month or so then start adding a few corals, wait another month or so, then start adding additional fish. This puts me at ~4 months before adding any carnivorous fish (which I will only add 1 or 2 at a time, with several weeks between).

That timeline is not as long as the article, but is it reasonable?

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am thinking of switching to a RSR 250.

In order to afford more tank, rock and future livestock, I started buying up some used equipment to help keep costs down a bit. My current planned equipment list is:

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 250 (white stand) - Wanted to go 350, but it is an inch too wide - gonna order from LFS soon
Lights: XR30W G3 (non-pro) x 2, with RMS mounts
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve A5
Flow: MP40wQD x 2
Return Pump: Jebao DCP-5000
RODI: Spectapure CSPDI-90

Should I already get a QT tank setup, or can that wait a bit after I get my DT going? I guess this comes down to....do I need to quarantine my CUC if nothing else is in the tank?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which light would be better for a rsr 170?

XR15W G4 Pro - new
Or
XR30W G3 Pro - used

The AI website has a cool PAR comparison tool but it does not have the gen 3s on there to compare coverage.

Thanks for your opinions!

I'd go with the G4 and get the diffuser plate too.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back