Hello From Indiana

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I live in Indianapolis, IN, and noticed by searching that there are at least a few other IN people around here. I refrain from saying Hoosiers as I went to Purdue (Boiler Up!). I am completely new to this whole saltwater aquarium deal, in fact my one and only tank was back when I was about 10 and it FW.

I have been reading through a lot of different forums and talking with the LFS guy who has a reef only shop and seems very knowledgeable. My plan is to get a Red Sea Reefer 170 or 250, but most likely 170 in the near future, and I am sure I will have a lot of questions, so thanks in advance for all your help!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor.gif
#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
DWPhilli

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in no rush to get going on this, but after cycling, adding CUC, and some fish, I would eventually add some corals but would not plan on doing SPS.

BTW, this is my planned setup at the moment. I have only bought a few things as they have went on sale, while I have been waiting for a local used RS Reefer to pop up for sale (with no luck).

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 170 (white stand)
Light: XR15w G4 Pro w/ RMS mount
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve A5
Flow: MP10wQD
Return Pump: Jebao DCT-6000
RODI: Spectapure CSPDI-90

Rock: 40 lbs dry rock from Amazon, might seed with live rock
Sand: 40 lbs live Caribsea Fiji Pink

I am not planning on running any reactors initially, but any recommendations are welcome.

Is there anything you think I should change? I am open to saving money, so cheaper is good, more expensive = bad.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read #15 here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur, corals start dying, fish get sick, and people who are relatively new to the SW hobby (or never bothered to study this aspect of it too much) fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems.

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you are starting out right, "I am in no rush to get going on this". Remember ask questions. There are no dumb question, just dumb people asking question. This is a joke not calling anyone dumb, unless you can relate, I do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back