Welcome form across the pond!

giphy.gif

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Yes it can be expensive especially at the start. You can save money long term by buying an RO/DI unit as a tank that size would be a large ongoing cost for RO water and salt water. Cheaper to make your own. Test kits are also useful too. LFS will also test your water relatively cheaply. Get more equipment as you can afford it or when it is needed.
Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have been a long time lurker and only just beginning to starting my first ever reef tank. I am deciding between the Red Sea Max E-170 or the E-260 but don't know if I should jump to the much bigger tank for now. My question is: is this going to be a very expensive hobby, as in would I be needing backup equipment as well, like dual heaters, dual return pumps in case one fails etc etc? How is your experience when it comes to such things? Any buyers remorse? Thanks!
Welcome to the group.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clint Eastwood.gif

Howdy from Kansas, USA. Glad you've jumped in. I have found larger tanks are easier to keep stable. It is an expensive hobby. I started by buying everything second hand but have found over time that high quality equipment, well maintained, also adds to the stability of my tank. Start a build thread and post lots of pics! :cool:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the E260, there nice little tanks and I would go for that as it’s bigger and therefore easier to maintain water quality/parameters if you can fit it in.

Be warned though, the hobby is very addictive and I only ran the 260 for 2 months before upgrading to an S650!

If your on a budget, you can get spare heaters and pumps on next day delivery from the likes of Charterhouse

And Welcome to R2R!!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an expensive hobby so you can cut some cost (without cutting quality) by buying from local reefers.

Welcome to R2R and happy reefing!

giphy.gif

Back