Hello from Long Island

emozoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Ya'll

My father in law is giving me his fluval sea flex this Sunday.

I am extremely excited to start my journey......I want to stock the tank with two clown fish, some coral and an anemone. I'm not sure which mutation yet but I really do love the snowflakes.

I have been reading up on reef tanks for a few months, but with anything you have to get your feet wet (no pun intended!)

New to the reef world, but I certainly understand how demanding animals are- I have a parrot, and he's like a little flying three year old who gets into everything! While the clowns aren't going to be getting intro trouble like Bean does, the water levels and parameters are going to be challenging but I know I can do it. Add in my two pit bulls who think they're lap dogs, and we have a full house :)

Looking forward to start a build thread soon!

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1701883998060.jpeg

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I just joined yesterday. There is a lot of information here...like a lot! Lots of wisdom from these folks and very welcoming.

My wife wants a bird. We have a house full of animals...too many dogs to remember their names and a few cats. Add on the insane number of aquariums...there's a reason we don't venture outside to interact with humans!

I started with a Fluval Evo 13.5 myself. Wonderful little tank. I would highly recommend already thinking about upgrades. It's an excellent entry system but it's lacking some key components. None of these HAVE to be done, but keep them in mind. I'll mention just the 3 key upgrades. From cheapest to $$$

1. The return pump needs to be upgraded. I didn't go out and get an expensive name brand. I just couldn't afford it. So I went with someone's recommendation of a Vivosun 210gph, and it's working great. Very quiet and nearly doubled my rate of flow by double. All for under $20!
  2. Chamber 1 filter basket - I personally went with 3d Ocean (Etsy) and it's an amazing upgrade. Well worth the $40
  3. Light! $$$ These are pricey. Maybe find a used one? That's what I'm currently trying to do. I've also been eyeing some cheaper versions, but I'd rather just get a tested light that's trusted by the reefing community and be done with it. You can go in many directions with your lighting choice. I'm still using my stock light, but it is underpowered for the most part.
Bonus tip...if you do decide to order a filter basket, get yourself two of the 1/4" RFG nozzles (random flow generator). What a terrific upgrade that was! Your future coral will love you for it.

OP
OP
emozoo

emozoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I just joined yesterday. There is a lot of information here...like a lot! Lots of wisdom from these folks and very welcoming.

My wife wants a bird. We have a house full of animals...too many dogs to remember their names and a few cats. Add on the insane number of aquariums...there's a reason we don't venture outside to interact with humans!

I started with a Fluval Evo 13.5 myself. Wonderful little tank. I would highly recommend already thinking about upgrades. It's an excellent entry system but it's lacking some key components. None of these HAVE to be done, but keep them in mind. I'll mention just the 3 key upgrades. From cheapest to $$$

1. The return pump needs to be upgraded. I didn't go out and get an expensive name brand. I just couldn't afford it. So I went with someone's recommendation of a Vivosun 210gph, and it's working great. Very quiet and nearly doubled my rate of flow by double. All for under $20!
  2. Chamber 1 filter basket - I personally went with 3d Ocean (Etsy) and it's an amazing upgrade. Well worth the $40
  3. Light! $$$ These are pricey. Maybe find a used one? That's what I'm currently trying to do. I've also been eyeing some cheaper versions, but I'd rather just get a tested light that's trusted by the reefing community and be done with it. You can go in many directions with your lighting choice. I'm still using my stock light, but it is underpowered for the most part.
Bonus tip...if you do decide to order a filter basket, get yourself two of the 1/4" RFG nozzles (random flow generator). What a terrific upgrade that was! Your future coral will love you for it.
great to know- thank you.

As far as the bird its a HUGE lifestyle change, no candles, no non stick pans, no chemicals basically anything that gives off a scent you cannot have.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Ya'll

My father in law is giving me his fluval sea flex this Sunday.

I am extremely excited to start my journey......I want to stock the tank with two clown fish, some coral and an anemone. I'm not sure which mutation yet but I really do love the snowflakes.

I have been reading up on reef tanks for a few months, but with anything you have to get your feet wet (no pun intended!)

New to the reef world, but I certainly understand how demanding animals are- I have a parrot, and he's like a little flying three year old who gets into everything! While the clowns aren't going to be getting intro trouble like Bean does, the water levels and parameters are going to be challenging but I know I can do it. Add in my two pit bulls who think they're lap dogs, and we have a full house :)

Looking forward to start a build thread soon!
Welcome to the club. My Reefing philosophy is all good things take time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back