Hello from Madison, Wisconsin!

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R. Glad to have you.

you're welcome love GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. I maintained a FOWLR in college for about a year with not-great success (20 gallon display, 20 gallon sump, two ocellaris and two yellowtail damselfish). I was on a college budget and did quite a lot of DIY. It was fun, but I had a fair number of mini-disasters. That was close to ten years ago and I'm ready to try again now that I have a house and the budget to do it right. I'm starting to plan out a tank build for basement, looking at around 200 gallons of display tank. I've been "doing my research" on and off for a long time now and I'm excited to jump in.

I'm planning on having a tank built by customaquariums.com. Does anyone have experience with them? They're not far from me, so I could pick up the tank in-person, and it would be nice to support local. I like their H2Overflow/Stealthbox design, and the aluminum framing is interesting. They're a little more expensive that something like Glasscages. Are they worth the extra money? Thanks everyone!

Welcome! Glad you joined. Defer to others on that particular company and design. Our 180g glass tank is lighter than what you're considering, and we used a LFS with specialized equipment to move it in. When you say 'pickup' I giggled because it sounds so simple when written, yet either 4-6 super strong friends (who may never do another favor again afterwards) or moving company may be needed.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Wish I had started documenting while in the planning phase, which sounds like you are still doing. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Defer to others on that particular company and design. Our 180g glass tank is lighter than what you're considering, and we used a LFS with specialized equipment to move it in. When you say 'pickup' I giggled because it sounds so simple when written, yet either 4-6 super strong friends (who may never do another favor again afterwards) or moving company may be needed.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Wish I had started documenting while in the planning phase, which sounds like you are still doing. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

180 with 1/2” glass is easily moved with two men. :)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 with 1/2” glass is easily moved with two men. :)

Apparently Wisconsin men are stronger than Texas (and rest of country) men... I watched TWO men move my 180 gallon tank relocation from one home to another... and without the specialized cart that lifted, etc my tank would still be one city over, far from me. And it got IN that house with 4 huge men (barely got in... and no longer available for any other moving LOL ... tank move burned that bridge)

I'll have to go north some day day and check out Wisconsin men <wink> ... did have cheese curds at a TX bar before COVID - they said those yummy snacks were standard up your way!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently Wisconsin men are stronger than Texas (and rest of country) men... I watched TWO men move my 180 gallon tank relocation from one home to another... and without the specialized cart that lifted, etc my tank would still be one city over, far from me. And it got IN that house with 4 huge men (barely got in... and no longer available for any other moving LOL ... tank move burned that bridge)

I'll have to go north some day day and check out Wisconsin men <wink> ... did have cheese curds at a TX bar before COVID - they said those yummy snacks were standard up your way!

Just a joke :)

OP
OP
ecj16

ecj16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the info! I assume they'd help load the tank on the pick-up end but I'll have to double-check on that. And I'm planning on having a few friends over to help get it into position. I have been taking photos for documentation, I'll be starting a thread soon!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back