Hello from Miami, FL

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jonathan and I’m a total newbie to saltwater aquariums. I had a few freshwater tanks and kept some bettas alive years ago, but that doesn’t compare to the demands of a saltwater aquarium. I had always wanted a saltwater tank but was too intimidated. After my American Bulldog passed away a few weeks ago, I decided it was time for a new pet(s) but I wasn’t ready for another dog, so I took the plunge and got my first saltwater tank setup on Saturday with help of my lfs. It’s a 60 gallon ProStar rimless tank and right now it’s just got saltwater, live sand, live rocks, and two Ocellaris Clownfish while it cycles. I’ve been reading a lot on R2R but thought it was time to say hello and start interacting

Here’s my build list so far:
  • Pro Clear Aquatic Systems ProStar Rimless 60 Gallon
  • EcoTech Marine Radion XR15 G5 Pro LED Light
  • EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10QD Pump
  • Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS Protein Skimmer
  • Eheim JAGER TruTemp Aquarium Heater
  • 40 lb. CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
  • CaribSea LifeRock Live Rock
7E967EEA-B107-4D7D-9070-68503F127160.jpeg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, From SWFL! Big Huge Hugs coming for your loss. I can only imagine how hard the last few weeks have been.
While I know this is therapeutic, don't rush things. I'm really surprised the LFS recommended fish on a tank less than a week old. There are kinder ways to cycle.
You will have some uglies along the way - and some more losses. If you stick it out, you will have the most amazing place to just chill and relax. Stick with it and we'll carry you through.
The Office Hug GIF

OP
OP
Magic City Reefer

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!
Welcome, From SWFL! Big Huge Hugs coming for your loss. I can only imagine how hard the last few weeks have been.
While I know this is therapeutic, don't rush things. I'm really surprised the LFS recommended fish on a tank less than a week old. There are kinder ways to cycle.
You will have some uglies along the way - and some more losses. If you stick it out, you will have the most amazing place to just chill and relax. Stick with it and we'll carry you through.
The Office Hug GIF
Thanks for the kind words! It’s been really tough, I never thought it would hurt me THAT BAD, but the distraction by the tank has been very helpful.

Also, I didn’t really know I shouldn’t be putting fish in the tank yet until I came across the various posts saying not to do so, but by then it was too late. First lesson learned on Day 1... but hey, they’re still kicking! Nothing left to do but hope they make it!

Last edited:
Back