Hello from New Mexico!

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. My husband and I have had reef tanks for 20 years or so, but are new to reefs at high elevations. I'm not sure that it is making a difference, but our little 28 gallon nano tank we have is a booger to care for. We have several different corals, but have trouble keeping fish. We're working on it though.

I am also getting ready to set up a seahorse tank. I've done a lot of research, but I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. I've only put the down payment on the tank and do not have any of the other equipment I need yet, so it is a work in very slow progress. Any tips you have are appreciated.

Does anyone have experience at having tanks at higher elevations? We are at about 4300 ft about sea level and we live in the high desert. Any tips on adjustments we need to make for this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks and I look forward to getting to know you all!

Cassi

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C955FAC5-8607-4A68-9E20-69F4DCD26855.gif

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Lived in the high desert for almost 30 years. Lots of evaporation both in the tank and in your body. It would actually show up on my annual blood tests as dehydration! Yikes!
When treating fish in bath or QT tank, run O2 longer than recommended to saturate with O2 before placing fish in the bath. Just watch for lethargy, gasping or sometimes color loss due to low O2.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back