Hello from Portugal

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Sorry about the crash, it’s behind now with success ahead.keep us updated

1592965456246.gif

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to you all,
I am new to the forum, and have been in and out of the hobby for about 12years. My aquarium is a 50 gal mixed tank, and is currently recovering from a crash. Lost a lot of sps and fish (bta, lps and softies were not harmed), and after seven 20% water changes over a 2 week time, I have started repopulating. Let’s hope everything goes allright. Looking to do some aquascaping in the next couple of weeks (mostly removing hermit and snail shells, that seem to be all over the place!!)

I am also looking to upgrade to a 80 or 90gal (I am inlove with waterbox and redsea, but don’t know if I will purchase one of those or go for a custom made - opinions accepted ;) )
Thank you for having me!
0311120C-1A5B-45A8-87C6-7BAAE7A8CE19.jpeg
Welcome to R2R. Sorry to hear about the tank crash. Hope you are soon up and running well again.

OP
OP
Damisa

Damisa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. What do you think caused your crash? Anything we can learn from?

about the crash, it all startd with a zebrasoma flavescens that got icht (didn’t quarantine as I don’t have a QT yet). the infection was not that bad, and I started the treatment 1 day after I detected it. Tried polyplab medic for 10 days and did the correct dosage for my tank. took out the carbon as recomended. all other fish were healthy, except perhaps for the hepatus and starry blenny, that were scratching against the rock, but no other signs of icht. 2 days after starting the treatment, I found the yellow tang almost dead, and Euthanized him . All other fish (and corals by the way) were doing fine, except for the blenny, that was a little apatic. Next day, blenny was gone (never found him, probably cuc took care of him-I have a lot of hermit crabs and nassarius). I continued the treatment for 10 days, and during that time, the hepatus stopped scratching, but 2 bengai cardinals died, as well as a scooter blenny and 2 chromis (never saw them again).
During the treatment, I kept my skimmer on, and GFO as well.
After the 10 days, I made the most stupid thing I could have done: 1 week before I started the treatment, I had changed the carbon, And kept the bag. When the treatment ended, I placed the used carbon again in the sump, and that’s when things started to go wrong: in 2-3 days time: 2 picassos, 1 ocellaris, 1 dartfish, a royal gramma dead, plus several acropora, acanthastrea, hydnophora and montipora.
Some of the other sps started dying, but at that moment, I realized that it could be from the used carbon, and immediatly took it of, and started performing 20% water changes every 2 days, during 2 weeks. The sps stopped dying, and started to recover. Nothing happened with the leather, duncan and euphylia, same with bta and zoas. Foxface, filefish, 1 ocelaris, hepatus and purple firefish were (and are) fine, all invertebrates (shrimp and cuc) safe as well.
I spoke to 2 of my LFS and one of them thinks the problem could be from the carbon, the other one states that it probably was not related with the carbon.

From this experience, what I learned is:
- get a QT
- don’t use polyplab medic never ever more again
-never ever again put a bag of used carbon in the tank again

by the way, I was testing during the treatment, and the parameters did fluctuate a little bit, but never too much.
The tank is 2 years old, salinity 1.026, PO4 undetectable , 5-7 nitrates, 8-9dkh, calcium 420-430, mg 1250, ph 8.10, no amonia or nitrites. I don’t test for trace elements. Water changes 20% every 2 weeks

what do you guys think of this? Anyone experienced anything like this?

OP
OP
Damisa

Damisa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Always happy to see tanks from around the world! How are the local stores in Portugal? Amazing looking tank! Looking forward to seeing more of it!
giphy.gif

stores in Portugal are growing in number, and quality, IMO (the sps offer is astonishing). In 2014, there where under 5 saltwater stores in Lisbon area, now I just can’t count them.
The 1st LFS i contacted when started the hobby refused to sell me any fish until i took a sample of my aquarium water to the store for him to test, to make sure that my cycle was complete.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back