OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Matthias. Glad to have you here at R2R. You've come to the right place for help.
german.gif

I was hesitating for a sec whether I really want to like your post ;-)

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Fellow Seattleits from the north end here. No local clubs in Seattle but we have a fb group that’s decent if you can stand the fb interface. There are a few cool local reefers that are active and knowledgeable but it does turn into a social media swamp occasionally.

I'm in the Northgate area :D .. What's the FB group?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Fellow Seattleits from the north end here. No local clubs in Seattle but we have a fb group that’s decent if you can stand the fb interface. There are a few cool local reefers that are active and knowledgeable but it does turn into a social media swamp occasionally.
WELCOME AND HELLO!!

I'm right over the pond on Whidbey Island ;)

Wish we had a reef club in seattle that would be sweet!

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME AND HELLO!!

I'm right over the pond on Whidbey Island ;)

Wish we had a reef club in seattle that would be sweet!

Agree.. but did I mention I have a 1- and a 4-year old? I will need to take time from the end of the day to make this work, so my only topical social connections will probably be on this forum :p

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree.. but did I mention I have a 1- and a 4-year old? I don't will need to take time from the end of the day to make this work, so my only topical social connections will probably be on this forum :p
Hahah one of mine is turning 18 this month and the other is still 9. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to do it with little ones in the house hahahaha GOOD ON YOU!! ;)

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah one of mine is turning 18 this month and the other is still 9. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to do it with little ones in the house hahahaha GOOD ON YOU!! ;)

Well, I'll take you along for the journey and feel free to throw a "I told you so" my way whenever you feel like it! ;-)

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the Northgate area :D .. What's the FB group?
You are pretty close to me, I’m a bit further north. My tank isn’t anywhere near as elaborate as yours will be but if you want to talk reef keeping Im up for meeting up at zylberschtein's for coffee and pastry sometime (the pastries are amazing, coffee not so much). I’m just wrapping up year 1 with this tank I can share some lessons learned and you can bounce off some ideas.

FB group is pacific nw reef keeping, people sell stuff there all the time, some good some bad. Most people try to do a good job but managing pests is really hard in this hobby and anyone that gets a lot of different frags from weird sources will eventually pick something up.
Glad to see you are setting up a robust qt setup, keep in mind you will have to tear the tanks down and sterilize them evert time, idk if you already have them but the back compartment on an AIO will be a huge pain To clean well. Sometimes simpler is better

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are pretty close to me, I’m a bit further north. My tank isn’t anywhere near as elaborate as yours will be but if you want to talk reef keeping Im up for meeting up at zylberschtein's for coffee and pastry sometime (the pastries are amazing, coffee not so much). I’m just wrapping up year 1 with this tank I can share some lessons learned and you can bounce off some ideas.

FB group is pacific nw reef keeping, people sell stuff there all the time, some good some bad. Most people try to do a good job but managing pests is really hard in this hobby and anyone that gets a lot of different frags from weird sources will eventually pick something up.
Glad to see you are setting up a robust qt setup, keep in mind you will have to tear the tanks down and sterilize them evert time, idk if you already have them but the back compartment on an AIO will be a huge pain To clean well. Sometimes simpler is better

Zylberschtein's is literally a block and a half from our place and we do have a weekly "bread subscription" with them as we supported their Kickstarter. The bread however is not that great, so we just pick two pastries every week :p ..

I'll check out the FB group and regarding the QT setup I do already have the tanks. I'll think through the process, however I am wondering what would still be alive in terms of pests if I run copper or medication in the fish tank? I absolutely plan on complete water changes after every batch of fish, however I don't fully understand the sterilizing part. My thinking was that (a) it's probably not needed if the fish didn't show any signs of disease and (b) that the tank is probably pretty clean after killing everything with meds in case there was an issue?

I guess (b) is the part I should re-think and for (a) it's more of an extra careful approach?

I was not planning on ever taking down the coral quarantine tank (and maybe having a fish in there all the time) and not taking down the fish quarantine for quite some time neither.

Lot's to learn here! Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and we’re glad you joined us!!

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2Reefers!

My name is Matthias. While originally from Germany, I'm living on the west coast since about a decade and I don't see that change anytime soon.

Growing up, we had lots of freshwater fish, but we never dabbled with saltwater. When my daughter got a freshwater tank this year, I started redoing large parts of it to make it work for me as a thing to stare at daily ;-) .. However, my wife one day simply said that I "should get my own tank and not ruin my daughter's tank", so here I am. She should have known better what this means! :p

I spent the better part of the last months researching, but am now finally getting serious. Looking forward to discovering all the magical things I will do terribly wrong and then sharing them here for your amusement (and maybe even for some help!) :D

I started my build thread over here

Thanks!
Matthias
Welcome to The salty world

U

User1

View Badges
Hi Reef2Reefers!

My name is Matthias. While originally from Germany, I'm living on the west coast since about a decade and I don't see that change anytime soon.

Growing up, we had lots of freshwater fish, but we never dabbled with saltwater. When my daughter got a freshwater tank this year, I started redoing large parts of it to make it work for me as a thing to stare at daily ;-) .. However, my wife one day simply said that I "should get my own tank and not ruin my daughter's tank", so here I am. She should have known better what this means! :p

I spent the better part of the last months researching, but am now finally getting serious. Looking forward to discovering all the magical things I will do terribly wrong and then sharing them here for your amusement (and maybe even for some help!) :D

I started my build thread over here

Thanks!
Matthias

Hi Matthias - welcome to R2R. I'm Scott in California :) So Hello from Cali.

I used to go to Seattle a lot for work as our client was there. I always liked it but as they always told me I was there on a good sunny day :) Welcome and nice to meet you.

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matthias - welcome to R2R. I'm Scott in California :) So Hello from Cali.

I used to go to Seattle a lot for work as our client was there. I always liked it but as they always told me I was there on a good sunny day :) Welcome and nice to meet you.

Hi Scott! We lived in San Francisco for a few years before moving up here for my job. My wife is a native Californian :)

OP
OP
matthias_bln

matthias_bln

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I am from Seattle as well! There are tons of beautiful fish stores to check out in the area (even further south towards Olympia) Hope to see you around!

Haven't gotten further south than Renton for fish stores yet :p .. But I will when I get the chance! Any particular recommendations?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back