Hello from South Florida

usajv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

My name is Andrew and I am new to reefing. After searching the internet, my wife and I decided to get started with a BioCube 32 Salt water tank. We have heard some many goods and bads but decided to try it out. I hope you all will be kind and patience with some of the questions that I may post from time to time. I personally am very excited with starting this new adventure.

My reef setup starts with who BioCube 32, which was the easiest and most cost effective way for us to start. We have live sand, live rocks, temperature and heater system and just added a wave maker. The tanks has been running for 3 1/2 weeks now and has been going through its cycle. I have been able to keep the wife and 7 year old at bay, but its hasn't been easy with having no fish in the tank for that amount of time.

I believe things are running well so far. This past weekend at 3 weeks of startup, we decided to get 2 very small clownfish. The water chemistry were at the right levels and we did it. its been 3 days with the little guys and they seemed to being doing well. Yesterday I notice some brown algae, possibly diatoms. I am sure if I should just let things go along, or get some snails. Any thoughts?

The first photo was 3 weeks ago and the 2nd is now.

IMG_3224.jpeg IMG_3336.jpeg IMG_0019.jpeg

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Diatoms are a more-or-less natural stage in the maturation of a saltwater tank. They should burn themselves out after a while but if not, ask questions. you will find the people here friendly and helpful. In general reducing light and increasing flow can help if the diatoms become a problem. Good luck and nice tank.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

Another biocuber!!!! Hi Andrew! I also have the same tank :). Looks like normal cycling "ugly stage stuff"
Wouldn't hurt to add a few snails at this point and start thinking about what clean up crew you want to add long term. Also, make sure you are getting good flow with that wavemaker throughout the tank :)

OP
OP
usajv

usajv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

Another biocuber!!!! Hi Andrew! I also have the same tank :). Looks like normal cycling "ugly stage stuff"
Wouldn't hurt to add a few snails at this point and start thinking about what clean up crew you want to add long term. Also, make sure you are getting good flow with that wavemaker throughout the tank :)
One the tank gets some coral which I know is many months away, should I consider a second wave maker?

OP
OP
usajv

usajv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Diatoms are a more-or-less natural stage in the maturation of a saltwater tank. They should burn themselves out after a while but if not, ask questions. you will find the people here friendly and helpful. In general reducing light and increasing flow can help if the diatoms become a problem. Good luck and nice tank.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thank you.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One the tank gets some coral which I know is many months away, should I consider a second wave maker?
It depends what kind of coral you have and what size wavemaker you are currently running. I have a Turbelle Nanostream 6015 (475 GPH) and it is plenty of flow for my soft corals. Its a constant stream though. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone with a wavemaker that allowed pulsing motion with the flow.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back