Hello from the Hospital!

Makse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! My name is Michael (my name in league and most other video games is Makse so I figured why not), and I’m from the Bridgeport area of Connecticut—I’m also a freshman at UConn this fall. I’ve been keeping all sorts of aquariums for almost half a dozen years (though, to be frank, at the earlier stages it was mostly my older brother because I wasn’t even in highschool haha), and have used this site for reference and other resources available here on many occasions, though never actually joined. Well, out of boredom in the hospital due to some 4th of July fun, and at the constant urging of someone from my LFS, I’ve finally made an account! I hope I can meet a ton of super smart and friendly people to talk about this awesome (and extremely expensive) hobby here.

Now down to what matters. As I said above, I’ve been in the hobby for a good chunk of my life, converting from fresh to salt a few years in like I suspect a bunch of people have. I’ve been outta the game for about a year and a half now due to monetary and time constraints, but having landed a couple stable jobs recently and having some available cushion, and outta jealousy of my best friend, I convinced myself to dive back in. I had an old G4 XR15 I got for a birthday 2 years back and a crap ton of supplements and unexpired test kits so I hopped onto Waterbox and ordered myself a 15 gallon peninsula(—SO Waterbox, btw, ur stuff is fire). That was about 5 or 6 weeks ago, and here’s my baby now:
A90A5AA9-AB5F-4C98-BDF1-F6490A0AFA0C.png

2BB9C935-C8B2-4819-92B9-598863C2F14A.jpeg

I don’t wanna go too in depth here, but I’m easin myself back in with a mixed softy and lps tank (my mocha storm, Milo, wanted to say hi in the second pic). Also, please excuse the dirty glass, these are the best pics I have atm but I’ll be sure to take some better ones for my build thread when I get home.

In any case, nice to meet you guys and expect to see me pretty often haha!

OP
OP
Makse

Makse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everybody, glad to be here!
Hi Michael - Welcome to R2R!

Good luck with your new Waterbox!

6CC02EFF-5BFC-4380-A76B-995D5A286D43.gif
They really are pretty good quality, and if I could make a comparison I’d say these are a bit of an upgrade from the IM AIO’s I’m familiar with.
Ill bite. Why are you in the hospital?

Welcome to R2R!
Hahaha.. me and some friends went whitewater kayaking and we found a place deep enuf for bridge jumping. Hit my leg on a hidden branch on the way down, landed on my face and got swept away into some kinda rough rapids downstream cuz I was super disoriented. After that my foot got caught and I couldn’t get my head above the water and managed to lose some hearing (ear infection), eyesight (might’ve scraped off some of my cornea), sprain my ankle and my knee all in one go lol. Worst part though, I lost my trunks so I got pulled out in my birthday suit .. SUPER fun time though, other than that!
I hope those aren't bta's I see in those photos.
Welcome to the club. Hope whoever it is, whatever the reason is, gets all better! GL
Thanks!! And yea, they are, you caught me. The tank cycled super quick but I didn’t really get any livestock for a few weeks and dosed various levels of ammonia and was super diligent about testing twice a day to see how sturdy the system was. I’m still kinda confused how I got it so durable so fast and was pretty wary about crashes, but so far my only losses have been a chalk bass (rest in peace little dude), and a JF stylo I got a couple weeks ago—never lucky with the sps, no matter how easy they’re supposed to be..

In any case, I went kinda crazy at RAP NY recently and got two BTAs (one back widow for 150 I couldn’t pass up and a nameless orange and green one), along with some pretty awesome zoas and blue raven blastos, and some pretttttty awesome gonis. Everything’s been pretty great and I’ve seen some new polyps on some of the zoas, as well as the cloves I got from Jason Fox have attached themselves to the rocks. I personally like to keep my water pretty dirty and nitrates sit around 10-15 ppm, and my softies go bonkers with it. More in the build thread, excuse my excitement.

Welcome to the salty family!!! Get well soon.
Feel Better Get Well Soon GIF by Chippy the Dog
Thank you very much! Shouldn’t be too long till I’m back to normal and makin money once again haha

OP
OP
Makse

Makse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GL, not saying you can't have a bta. I hope they thrive for you. Wild bta's are difficult means to care for. Since you got a Black widow, it should adapt easy enough.
Have a speedy recovery!
Most of us are pretty salty. Not in a bad way ;)
Hahaha, don’t I know it. I used to have a nem tank and I found they were notoriously difficult till I started getting directly from actual sellers like WWC and TSA. Full disclosure, after a freak accident I dropped my orange one while acclimating it and it lost some tentacles on one side of the pedal disc, but they’ve since started to grow back. My clowns have been pretty ruthless with my black widow but it seems to be doing really well. The only thing I was worried about was flow but they seem to be fine with some supplemental feeding.
And thanks! I’m usually pretty durable so it shouldn’t take too long haha (fingers crossed).

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hahaha, don’t I know it. I used to have a nem tank and I found they were notoriously difficult till I started getting directly from actual sellers like WWC and TSA. Full disclosure, after a freak accident I dropped my orange one while acclimating it and it lost some tentacles on one side of the pedal disc, but they’ve since started to grow back. My clowns have been pretty ruthless with my black widow but it seems to be doing really well. The only thing I was worried about was flow but they seem to be fine with some supplemental feeding.
And thanks! I’m usually pretty durable so it shouldn’t take too long haha (fingers crossed).
These guys love pictures and build threads. :) Any nem issues we do have experts who can help. Eagle_Steve is one of them. Hope to see future updates of the build. Love the pics so far.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back