OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Gary am from the Hudson Valley myself and just started my tank about 3 weeks now. Welcome and you will learn alot here from R2R these guys are awsome..and will be happy to help u.

Thanks,
I notice that I joined countles others and never gotten a responce like this. meaning so welcoming and helpful. sorry for the typos.

Gary ps what area of the valley i'm in middletown.

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O I'm in Middletown near the little airport on 211 I think it's called orange county airport. I still learning my way around i don't leave my area to much ..lol

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ok cool.. both tanks are empty just lots of plans and research no progress. making templates today to start my stand. have you seen the design I have come up with .. Sice I was offered the skimmer that will make things better. I'm on a fixed income so I have to catch things on sale or stalk craigs list. so I ended up with 9 tanks , I have been cleaning them up for trading or help . I only have one 10 gallons left my 38 column for my son to redo and i have a 55 on the back porch that needs resealing and new trim no clue what to do with it. my office tanks will be the only salt tanks. I have medical issues and 3 boys so family comes first.

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary. I hear u on the family thing. I joined R2R almost a year now n just got my tank up now. Just like u said family first and work. I know the sacral ice but It's up and running now. I just have to do my daughter who is 6yrs old tank. I built her a 29 gallon tank set up. Just gotta fill with saltwater n build her aquascape.u just have to take it one day at a time. And as for the budget I know n experienced it. I bought all my equipment new all over the course of a year. I wanted to do th e Seco f hand thing but wasn't comfortable doing so.. took my time.. man I had ny rocks cooking in saltwater for 9 months before I could get them in my tank.

RJ Harris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the lfs near you. I'm always looking for new places. I'm from the Glen's falls area and have to travel to eddies which I've stopped going to cuz they kinda left me with a bad taste after going for many years and healthy pet which is my main store now. I've done Union and davey jones and something fishy but have given up on all but healthy pet

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None but I know of a couple of young guys who are starting out in a house basement nice guys major frags and corals. I believe it's called overboard aquatics on facebook Bill and tyler are the owners.. I travel to NJ and other little places I find. like I went to the one in pearl river to get some rock the owner was rude and did not like the way he talked to his staff.
then I over payed for crap rock to come home to have a guy who has tons for sale on FB for lil over $1.50 a pound vs the 4.50 I did for used rock I noticed when i got home was drilled and glued..

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RJ Harris. I go to a local LFS 5 minutes from my house. Tristate Aquarium and some time Beitals Aquarium. Tristate is run my a buddy of mine who I grew up with. Very decent place they take care of there stuff n never once had a sick fish when I was doing freshwater and now into salt so trust the place. They even QT my fish for me as of now bc I have not set up my own QT as of yet.Beitals on the other hand are a large fresh and saltwater establishment where the make tanks in the back room n they caters to big company n us as well. Not a bad selection from why I've seen. I however have not bought any saltwater fish from them yet. But bought alot of freshwater stuff when I was in freshwater. My only negative feed back I have is they don't have prices on the tanks. One day I went in to test my theory on why the prices were not on the tank. I thought it was shoot from the hip kinda thing. Well one day I went in and ask a price on a certain fish n the gave me a price I said ok. Looked around n left. So i Went back and ask again sure enough price was higher ..besides that I think it's a decent place. Am trying to make my way down to the city n in jersey where my friends told me of some places that has some nice stuff. But really am content on the lfs I have now bc they get me whatever I want if possible to get.

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there is also a pet store in a nanuet ny pets place 2. That place use to be awsome but I don't know what happened to it. I mean they still have fish n stuff but the up keep isn't good at all.. so am kinda of scared to buy from them..

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the very bottom of Hudson Valley in New Fairfield, CT. Not a lot of LFS around here, but if you're willing to take a ride (all are at least an hour away from me) there there are some worth the visit.

My personal favorite is Greenwich Aquaria in Riverside, CT. Fish are healthy and Jason, the owner, is known to get some rare ones in (he even discovered a new species named after him). They are also the most trustworthy and knowledgeable when it comes to stocking your tank and advice on equipment. They want you to have a good experience, even if that means not making the sale. Really great shop.

Five minutes from them is House of Fins in Greenwich,CT. They always have TONS of fish in stock, but the prices are almost 2x if not more than what you would find elsewhere. But with this being one of the most wealthy towns in the country, you can't blame them. I usually skip it because I never get a good vibe from the staff. Always feels like the used car salesman of reef-keeping. I would go here if you are just looking for stock options and have already done your research (including what is a reasonable price).

I'm always looking for other good LFSs if anyone in the area knows of any!

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good UConnMel. Am always looking for different stuff to stock my tank with. Lots of corals. As of now trying out some easy to grow coral n see how it goes.

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello RJ Harris. I go to a local LFS 5 minutes from my house. Tristate Aquarium and some time Beitals Aquarium. Tristate is run my a buddy of mine who I grew up with. Very decent place they take care of there stuff n never once had a sick fish when I was doing freshwater and now into salt so trust the place. They even QT my fish for me as of now bc I have not set up my own QT as of yet.Beitals on the other hand are a large fresh and saltwater establishment where the make tanks in the back room n they caters to big company n us as well. Not a bad selection from why I've seen. I however have not bought any saltwater fish from them yet. But bought alot of freshwater stuff when I was in freshwater. My only negative feed back I have is they don't have prices on the tanks. One day I went in to test my theory on why the prices were not on the tank. I thought it was shoot from the hip kinda thing. Well one day I went in and ask a price on a certain fish n the gave me a price I said ok. Looked around n left. So i Went back and ask again sure enough price was higher ..besides that I think it's a decent place. Am trying to make my way down to the city n in jersey where my friends told me of some places that has some nice stuff. But really am content on the lfs I have now bc they get me whatever I want if possible to get.

Betha's is where I got the crap rock the owner was like if you need me. then when i tried to make small convo he walked off and I heard the way he spoke to his staff turned me off.. I wanted to visit tristate but wanted more feedback first before I go out anymore.. I will keep you guys posted of what I find out. as in my area.

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
I might have something to bring to the table some cool rock and I know some local people that might be into the frag swap .. my son wants to learn about planted tanks I have a old 38 gallon octogon from 1988 that is rare I am willing to give away since some one gave me something.. I would like to pay it foward and keep this group of people strong.. if that is ok.
With all these people from the area I'm thinking a small frag swap in the future?

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see what I can find for you a new friend offered me something to try but I said no way.. I have done zero research so far on it

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps and mushrooms n zoas or lps. Trying to stack my tank. 180 gallons
1479074508683.jpeg

Back