Hello from the Hudson Valley area

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Gary.
I am new to the hobby and was told about this place. looking for some local people I have met a few people. My issues are is that every person or site I look at for the info for what i want to stock with says ok and this tank will work and some say it won't. I know every fish is different. but where is the real general rule of thumb? I know I barely know enough to jump in at this scale but this is the only hobby I will be able to do for medical reasons. I'm a designer, builder, fab kind of guy and I do tons of photoshop work . as for now, I am just enjoying working with aqua scaping for my 75 eel tank making up my tunnels and such. I am no stranger to making molds and working with concrete as I use to teach people how to make light weight sinks , counter tops, and other things as well. I hope this is a good intro. with some good info . I will do some reading before i flood with tons of questions. Have a great day
G.

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! you're going to love it here

Yes you will find lots of answers to the same question but this place is probably the best out there for asking questions, no one will flame you and most people genuinely want to help you

IMG_20160925_183631610_HDR.jpg

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, you've come to a great community. This hobby has been and is very therapeutic, I can vouch for that.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ,
Thank you for the warm welcome. I can post a picture what i am designing at the moment. I have zero salt water tanks running and going. one tank is a 75 long and the other is a 56 column we would like a puffer, I like eels and maybe a lion fish. at the moment Im having a blast designing my aqua scape out site of the tank. I like two kinds of eels a snowflake and a ribbon (blue) . you can tell i'm a designer. i have some other photos of progress i just have to upload them. the three lines are for fore,mid, and back ground... so i have to remember what I was going to ask.. brain crash.
G.

aquariumsetup1.jpg

aquascape layout.JPG

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give you an interesting fact for both eels you've chosen, both switch from male to female, both are part of the few eels that can be sexed and is done by coloration. Blue ribbons are female and the adult version of black ribbons which are male. Snowflakes start as male and as they get older the pattern distorts (not the scientific explanation but best way to describe) during their change.

A tight fitting lid is a must for either and tankmates that can fit in their mouths could potentially be meals.

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thank you. First person to talk me out of a snowflake . I like a tesla but not in the budget at the moment..lol so my main thing is redoing the sump i got for free and figuring out how to filter this bad boy. The reason for the two tanks is so I can dissplay my favorites but the wife said there must be a dogface. so that is all I have so far as stocking. I plan on getting everything small so i hope for no issues. any other fish i can toss in there. I'm waiting to place a order for more rock cause few places i went did not have what i wanted. http://s153.photobucket.com/user/bouoy/library/Aquarium stuff

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You're at the right place for positive and constructive answers to your questions..

welcom.jpg
Glad you got here...obviously there is plenty of help...that Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michaels is really worth while...goes through everything about each fish including which gets along with which and under what conditions...paperback on Amazon...by the way, I have an AA degree from Parsons School of Design...but never really a working designer...school psychologist most of my life...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back