Hello from the Hudson Valley area

Gravityreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1479074885651.jpeg
here is a better pic Gary of what am trying to have one day flurishing with lps sps zoas..

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Gary.
I am new to the hobby and was told about this place. looking for some local people I have met a few people. My issues are is that every person or site I look at for the info for what i want to stock with says ok and this tank will work and some say it won't. I know every fish is different. but where is the real general rule of thumb? I know I barely know enough to jump in at this scale but this is the only hobby I will be able to do for medical reasons. I'm a designer, builder, fab kind of guy and I do tons of photoshop work . as for now, I am just enjoying working with aqua scaping for my 75 eel tank making up my tunnels and such. I am no stranger to making molds and working with concrete as I use to teach people how to make light weight sinks , counter tops, and other things as well. I hope this is a good intro. with some good info . I will do some reading before i flood with tons of questions. Have a great day
G.
Gary...glad you joined... lots of experienced and even professional people here...hope it helps...Ken:)

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I found this place. spend alot of time reading.

Thomasj616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Awesome to hear of someone in the area.
I'm in Goshen and sorry to say there isn't much around us for retail stores.
I know Tyler from when he worked at petco, great guy, really knowledgeable, don't let the age fool you.
I was going to Ramsey nj for my stuff but to be honest if you aren't planning on spending a few hundred they almost won't talk to you.
Try tri-state aquatics in suffern.
I go there for all my stuff, will is great and will help you out with everything.

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I met Tyler before nice young man. I'm overhauling the whole office where the tank is going fixing the water damage in the ceiling where someone played plumber and left a mess. so had to pull it down and now since the room had no fan or lights up there but a early 80's track lighting.. lol I am redoing the wiring. If I can get to the build I will take pictures as I go and post when I can but it will be about 50% done before I make a thread. I was designing my Sump out of a old 55 long. I removed the trim and in doing so I now get to reseal the tank. but I have met a great group of people. Just with 3 kids is a juggling act. I still have to meet up to pick up the skimmer. I wish I could say I got cool fishy stuff for my Bday but nope. just a new computer case and a whole room to rewire.. I will be getting into another venture but I don't want to jinx it yet.

OP
OP
Gary G

Gary G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I almost done with my concept on the larger 75 gallon. the guns and make will be made with smooth cast so the fun of mold making the larger "rocks" I will make from a concrete type called GFRC. It's super light weight as wells as strong. I'm still working on the 36 gallon cube design. thinking a aliens/ Giger design.

aquascape layout.jpg

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in the Albany area want some frags to help me out? I am moving and building a new home but in the transition I can't set the tank up. Will anyone take my frags and just frag off a piece again when I set my tank up again?

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone in the Albany area want some frags to help me out? I am moving and building a new home but in the transition I can't set the tank up. Will anyone take my frags and just frag off a piece again when I set my tank up again?

What do you have? The reason I ask is most SPS do not do well in my tank as I have higher nutrients.
Eddie's will usually help in a move.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go on The Catskill Reef...we have members that far up state...just post the request and see what you get...join if you like...Ken:D

IGROZOAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow Hudson valley people. Didn't know there were so many on here. I'm always stacked with corals so if u guys ever need some hobby priced stuff. Let me know. I'm from Beacon NY
IMG_6540.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back