Hello From Upstate New York

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Im a fellow upstater....waay upstate unlike you southerners, ha (way up on the St. Lawrence, but recently turned western new yorker living 5 miles outside Buffalo).

You'll like it here, throw up some pics!

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! Im a fellow upstater....waay upstate unlike you southerners, ha (way up on the St. Lawrence, but recently turned western new yorker living 5 miles outside Buffalo).

You'll like it here, throw up some pics!
went to school in Potsdam. Waaaay up there.

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to college in Potsdam as well (one of several while finding myself during a game of campus domino's along the eastern seaboard). Originally from Connecticut, family moved upstate when I was in gradeschool.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of limited space and expenses I decided to start small with a 16 gallon biocube just to get my feet wet. I know this can often be more difficult based on the smaller water volume, but it just made more sense to me at the time. Looking to go bigger eventually, once I become more proficient.

Bigger does tend to be more stable to a point but smaller is a goos way to get a feel for the hobby. My first reef tank was about 6 gallons and I had a couple fish and some beginner corals growing pretty well. I had a 1.5 gallon LPS pico tank for a year or two as well. Both tanks got taken down when I had more fish tanks than was healthy.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to college in Potsdam as well (one of several while finding myself during a game of campus domino's along the eastern seaboard). Originally from Connecticut, family moved upstate when I was in gradeschool.
What a small world. Nice to meet ya!

Nmaran72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up guys, my names Alex and I'm new to this forum and have just recently gotten into the reefing hobby. Im currently running a 16 gallon bio cube which is in the process of cycling. Being that I've only kept fresh water tanks, I have lots of questions and am looking forward to learning and progressing in the reef keeping hobby.
Welcome to r2r

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger does tend to be more stable to a point but smaller is a goos way to get a feel for the hobby. My first reef tank was about 6 gallons and I had a couple fish and some beginner corals growing pretty well. I had a 1.5 gallon LPS pico tank for a year or two as well. Both tanks got taken down when I had more fish tanks than was healthy.
Wow those are really small tanks. So you know your stuff when it comes to nano tanks. Definatly gonna have some questions for you Ken, hope you don't mind.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mind at all. The more reef keepers we get up here the better the stores will get, hopefully. Maybe the clubs will come alive too.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mind at all. The more reef keepers we get up here the better the stores will get, hopefully. Maybe the clubs will come alive too.
Thats a good point.

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a small world. Nice to meet ya!

Likewise. Like you, I started with a nano...about 2 months ago--an 8 gallon Fluval EBI originally designed for shrimp, but has rounded front corners like a biocube.

In the past 2 months I've bought a 29 gal biocube, 25 gal rimless cube, and today a 26 gallon c-vue from Cobalt showed up on my doorstep... this hobby tends to suck you in, when you go "just a little bigger"....then justify getting a different light, skimmer, blah blah.

At least you've started with a 16. I think that's a better starting point than I had.

Since lighting typically costs more than the tank...I started with an Aquaknight A029, then a wifi black box, AI prime HD, and finally just sucked it up and bought a Hydra 26, make sure the 16 is something you're comfortable keeping around because buyers remorse is more expensive if you have to upgrade your lighting for the next tank.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likewise. Like you, I started with a nano...about 2 months ago--an 8 gallon Fluval EBI originally designed for shrimp, but has rounded front corners like a biocube.

In the past 2 months I've bought a 29 gal biocube, 25 gal rimless cube, and today a 26 gallon c-vue from Cobalt showed up on my doorstep... this hobby tends to suck you in, when you go "just a little bigger"....then justify getting a different light, skimmer, blah blah.

At least you've started with a 16. I think that's a better starting point than I had.

Since lighting typically costs more than the tank...I started with an Aquaknight A029, then a wifi black box, AI prime HD, and finally just sucked it up and bought a Hydra 26, make sure the 16 is something you're comfortable keeping around because buyers remorse is more expensive if you have to upgrade your lighting for the next tank.

Very true. My 6 gallon tank quickly grew to my current 90, with multiple increasing sizes along the way.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back