Hello From Upstate New York

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up guys, my names Alex and I'm new to this forum and have just recently gotten into the reefing hobby. Im currently running a 16 gallon bio cube which is in the process of cycling. Being that I've only kept fresh water tanks, I have lots of questions and am looking forward to learning and progressing in the reef keeping hobby.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor (1).gif

There is a millennia of knowledge here at your fingertips :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Let’s see some tank pics!! Keep us posted with your tank with lots of photos :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up guys, my names Alex and I'm new to this forum and have just recently gotten into the reefing hobby. Im currently running a 16 gallon bio cube which is in the process of cycling. Being that I've only kept fresh water tanks, I have lots of questions and am looking forward to learning and progressing in the reef keeping hobby.

Nice! Welcome! I grew up in Upstate NY (Cortland).

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been to Something Fishy in a couple years. I wasn’t a huge fan. You really need to check out those two stores. Healthy Pet in Latham is great for corals and food. Eddies is decent for fish. They have really large selections. There’s also Davey Jones Locker in Albany but they’re a lot smaller. Sometimes they have some decent frags for a good price but I would dip any of their coral.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been to Something Fishy in a couple years. I wasn’t a huge fan. You really need to check out those two stores. Healthy Pet in Latham is great for corals and food. Eddies is decent for fish. They have really large selections. There’s also Davey Jones Locker in Albany but they’re a lot smaller. Sometimes they have some decent frags for a good price but I would dip any of their coral.
Thanks so much, I will definatly be checking both of those places out.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time. All the stores are at least an hour away from me so I had to figure out which ones were worth it for me. There used to be a couple clubs up here but they’re pretty inactive. There’s a couple Facebook groups that are active though.

If you ever want to go to an amazing frag swap and don’t mind a few hours driving the New England Frag Farmers Marker in Storrs, CT is mind blowing in size and deals. They do it once a year and the next one is in one week. Maybe something you’ll want to do this year but I strongly recommend going at least once. There’s a few of us spread out up here.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time. All the stores are at least an hour away from me so I had to figure out which ones were worth it for me. There used to be a couple clubs up here but they’re pretty inactive. There’s a couple Facebook groups that are active though.

If you ever want to go to an amazing frag swap and don’t mind a few hours driving the New England Frag Farmers Marker in Storrs, CT is mind blowing in size and deals. They do it once a year and the next one is in one week. Maybe something you’ll want to do this year but I strongly recommend going at least once. There’s a few of us spread out up here.

Man that sounds awesome. Really nice to hear theres stuff going on around our neck of the woods. Im sure Ill be asking you a lot being that were from the same area. That frag swap sounds really cool, I would love that.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
af7c9f4579cc554a4d58bbcf38e64bad.jpg

Found the flyer. I’ve got a friend close by up here who has a couple tanks too and sometimes has stuff for sale/trade. I’m in the middle of a total reboot of my main tank so I don’t have much right now. What kind of tank are you doing?

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
af7c9f4579cc554a4d58bbcf38e64bad.jpg

Found the flyer. I’ve got a friend close by up here who has a couple tanks too and sometimes has stuff for sale/trade. I’m in the middle of a total reboot of my main tank so I don’t have much right now. What kind of tank are you doing?
Because of limited space and expenses I decided to start small with a 16 gallon biocube just to get my feet wet. I know this can often be more difficult based on the smaller water volume, but it just made more sense to me at the time. Looking to go bigger eventually, once I become more proficient.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back