Hello From Upstate New York

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion (I returned mine): don't waste your time. Definitely not on the biocube.

Last edited:

Benny Morosco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up guys, my names Alex and I'm new to this forum and have just recently gotten into the reefing hobby. Im currently running a 16 gallon bio cube which is in the process of cycling. Being that I've only kept fresh water tanks, I have lots of questions and am looking forward to learning and progressing in the reef keeping hobby.
Welcome and where are you in upstate NY I am near Utica!

LanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andrew,

I felt it was barely adequate for an 8 gallon cube if you want any real growth, aside from the lack of buttons on the hipargero version that would have drove me insane. Their response: use a timer so you don't have to touch the unit. I did put it on my biocube just to see the penetration, honestly anything deeper than 12 inches with these just isn't going to do anything, and I think you will be disappointed.

The premium aquatics model does have/ did have buttons (labeled in the manual as the "premium" model I believe).

Either way, for what you're looking to do, a pair of them will leave you unimpressed. You will be running them at 8- full blast on either one, and probably still not satisfied. There are better options for not much difference in money. I would suggest a wifi black box for $100 over 2 of these if you want to keep your costs low. Not that they are sensational either, but there's a lot of info, support, mods, and better performance.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andrew,

I felt it was barely adequate for an 8 gallon cube if you want any real growth, aside from the lack of buttons on the hipargero version that would have drove me insane. Their response: use a timer so you don't have to touch the unit. I did put it on my biocube just to see the penetration, honestly anything deeper than 12 inches with these just isn't going to do anything, and I think you will be disappointed.

The premium aquatics model does have/ did have buttons (labeled in the manual as the "premium" model I believe).

Either way, for what you're looking to do, a pair of them will leave you unimpressed. You will be running them at 8- full blast on either one, and probably still not satisfied. There are better options for not much difference in money. I would suggest a wifi black box for $100 over 2 of these if you want to keep your costs low. Not that they are sensational either, but there's a lot of info, support, mods, and better performance.

Thanks for the reply! The thing I have against the Chinese boxes (I’ve had 3 in the past) is I think I was overlighting my corals on minimum settings and there aren’t really any attractive mounting options.. especially on a nano tank.. I’ll consider it though for sure..

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
belated welcome,black boxes are strong.hanging well that's not easy on a cube.good thing is when you upgrade tanks(and you will)you can just add another and another.my last light upgrade I went with the marsaqua 165.i put 5 on a 5 ft tank.i've had some very expensive lights in the past and those $100 marsaqua grow corals better than those $1000+ lights imo.
pictures?

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it’s been a while does anyone have any new feedback on the 30w aqua knight LEDs? I’m looking at getting a couple for a future build. I’d like LPS and maybe an SPS or two later on down the road. The tank will be either a Nuvo 20g AIO or a coraife biocube 32g for reference.
I have nothing bad to say about the light actually. Had coral growth, not a ton, but I did have coral growth. I don't have an extremely deep tank but you should be able to easily sustain a biocube or 20 g cube. This light is becoming more respected and used among many budget and beginner reefers. I recommend 100%. If your going 32 i would suggest buying 2 however; at that point you may be better off buying a more expensive single light. Let me know what you choose and how it goes, I'm curious.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back