Welcome to R2R
ryan reynolds deadpool GIF

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
My advice is normally to start that small, but If your gonna start that big I would start with the Reefer 350 over the reefer 300. The reason is the longer dimensions off the Reefer 350 will open up a lot more of the popular fish options comfortably for you to keep.

Now this is a very loaded topic, the only topic on here that will bring up more controversy than anything to do with conservation or climate change ;Bookworm is tank size requirements. But just as an example you could more "appropriately" keep one or even 2 of the smaller tangs and a trio of smaller anthias in a 350 vs a 300.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all,

I am completely new here and new to saltwater tanks in general. I have several years of freshwater experience, but I am still feverishly researching posts here and elsewhere out on the net to identify the parts I need now and the parts that are cool but not necessary. Some of the initial 101 posts on here are a tremendous help for listing and defining all of the parts. Not all of the aquarium listings are great about telling you what things you will still need to get after you buy a system from them. Looking to build a FOWLR for now. I don't much like the idea of putting in corals until I'm a bit better educated.

I have been looking at IM and RedSea, but I think ultimately I will go with a RedSea. I'm on a 2nd floor apartment so my current plans are to put together a Reefer XL300 because I'm not sure about weight past about 80 gallons. It's a newer apartment complex, but I figure I should be a bit cautious unless someone has thoughts on it. I had seen a post on the net somewhere stating up to 150 gallons, but that seems awfully heavy.

I had been looking at the RedSea E260, but I will likely want an in cabinet sump once I get a bit more educated on the layout and upkeep of the aquarium. It seemed a bit pointless to me to get a system with a rear unit only to upgrade to an in-cabinet unit. Plus, it will give me more options for options and additional devices as it progresses.

I figure at this point, my must haves in addition to a tank are:
  • Return pump - No idea which one to get or how to calculate the flow I will need yet.
  • Skimmer - Likely to go with a RS300 or 600 unit for the tank.
  • ATO - Some of the systems have an ATO included, but I have seen mixed reviews about the units from RS, so I have been researching other systems.
  • Lighting (RS ReefLED 90 x 2)
  • ReefWave25 - RS suggests 2 of them for a 65 gallon tank, but not sure if that is overdoing it or not.
Sorry for all the rambling. I am really in quite over my head right now, so trying to tread water until I figure it out. :cool:

Welcome! Glad you joined

Love that you are doing research and making plans, but there are many 'right' solutions. There is lighting section (Forum) so you can also try posting your additional lighting question there if no one notices your additional question later within this thread.

This is a good overall reference book type article reinforcing some of your decisions already made:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all,

I am completely new here and new to saltwater tanks in general. I have several years of freshwater experience, but I am still feverishly researching posts here and elsewhere out on the net to identify the parts I need now and the parts that are cool but not necessary. Some of the initial 101 posts on here are a tremendous help for listing and defining all of the parts. Not all of the aquarium listings are great about telling you what things you will still need to get after you buy a system from them. Looking to build a FOWLR for now. I don't much like the idea of putting in corals until I'm a bit better educated.

I have been looking at IM and RedSea, but I think ultimately I will go with a RedSea. I'm on a 2nd floor apartment so my current plans are to put together a Reefer XL300 because I'm not sure about weight past about 80 gallons. It's a newer apartment complex, but I figure I should be a bit cautious unless someone has thoughts on it. I had seen a post on the net somewhere stating up to 150 gallons, but that seems awfully heavy.

I had been looking at the RedSea E260, but I will likely want an in cabinet sump once I get a bit more educated on the layout and upkeep of the aquarium. It seemed a bit pointless to me to get a system with a rear unit only to upgrade to an in-cabinet unit. Plus, it will give me more options for options and additional devices as it progresses.

I figure at this point, my must haves in addition to a tank are:
  • Return pump - No idea which one to get or how to calculate the flow I will need yet.
  • Skimmer - Likely to go with a RS300 or 600 unit for the tank.
  • ATO - Some of the systems have an ATO included, but I have seen mixed reviews about the units from RS, so I have been researching other systems.
  • Lighting (RS ReefLED 90 x 2)
  • ReefWave25 - RS suggests 2 of them for a 65 gallon tank, but not sure if that is overdoing it or not.
Sorry for all the rambling. I am really in quite over my head right now, so trying to tread water until I figure it out. :cool:
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back