Welcome

200.gif

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m new here and to tanks in general. We are moving into a new place and FINALLY have the room for one. We are looking at a place with a loft, and ideally would want the tank in the loft space. Does anyone know if 100 gallons is too heavy? Some friends of mine have 100-150 gallons in their 2nd or 3rd story apartments but I have a sneaky feeling the loft won’t be as sturdy? Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you all, seeing your tanks, and finally having one of my own to share with you!
I am a licensed contractor and would recommend that you call 1 in and have them take a good look at were it is planned to go to make sure it is framed properly and in a manner of witch it will support for sure its very possible that it may need some new bracing installed if not a beam.... tanks are expensive so are the messes they can make in a situation like that. Hope this helps and good luck with your project welcome to the forum. Also if it does go up there u want it to span over the top of as many floor joist or floor truses as possible dont run the tank in the same direction as your joists run you want it going in the opposite direction of your joists so it can rest on hopefully 3 minimum to 4...

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
I think before you are set on 100g, the better question is whats the size of the tank?
Regular 100g is 72x18x19
Which I think is too long, not wide enough and not deep enough.

My dream(hopefully my next) tank is 120g 48x24x24. Shorter than 100g but wider and deeper water depth.

Will this be your own place or renting? Make sure the apartment owner allowed those big tanks. Some don't.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I’m new here and We are looking at a place with a loft. Some friends of mine have 100-150 gallons in their 2nd or 3rd story apartments but I have a sneaky feeling the loft won’t be as sturdy?

Well lots of folks have said hello, and a few have suggested that you get a contractor, and one even suggested "Professional help" but I've sought help from professionals for years and have not made any real progress. That said, I think what you should do is get about 7 really close friends to go up into the loft and everyone jump up in the air and land as close to the same time as you can. If the loft can handle that kind of action then for sure you should be able to place ~1000 pounds of a beautiful reef tank there without any worries.

The beauty of my method is that if the loft does fail you can get a lawyer and recoup damages for 7 people! whereas if you put a tank up there and it fails you are going to have to retain a lawyer to pay the landlord something. Just an idea, and I do not take responsibility if you do try this..

This place is full of great opinions and experience, not all of it as good as what you can get from me (Free!). Hey, glad you are here. Welcome to Reef2Reef!

giphy.gif

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back