Hello R2R Community! Very new here.

electricreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Very new to R2R. I've been in the hobby for 2 years. I've actually only had an up and running tank for about 5 months out of those two years. (Did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on starting a tank). Yesterday I put a small piece of GSP on a designated island in my brand new reef tank. Here is a picture of it two hours after I put it in.
IMG_1482549118.380887.jpg

Here is a list of my current water parameters
Salinity 1.023
PH 7.98
Ammonia 0 (as far as I can test for)
Nitrites. 0. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nitrates 0. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Calcium 420-440
DKH 8.0-8.5.

I had zoas in a nano build for 3 months and they lasted and did fine under pretty similar water parameters. I figured gsp would thrive in my new 65 gal reef build.

It is day two and the GSP polyps aren't even poking out to say hello. Just retested the tank to find that all parameters are the same. Anyone have any clue as to if it might take a few days for them to open up and do their thing or if maybe lighting could be too high? I have two AI primes mounted about 12" above the waters surface on a traditional 65 gallon tank. 18" deep, 24" depth, 36" width. GSP is mounted about 4" above the sand bed. Any hep or insight would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_1482549824.299404.jpg

From what I'm understanding, GSP should be able to thrive in mostly any environment and in low or high intensity lighting.

Thanks!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Very new to R2R. I've been in the hobby for 2 years. I've actually only had an up and running tank for about 5 months out of those two years. (Did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on starting a tank). Yesterday I put a small piece of GSP on a designated island in my brand new reef tank. Here is a picture of it two hours after I put it in.
IMG_1482549118.380887.jpg

Here is a list of my current water parameters
Salinity 1.023
PH 7.98
Ammonia 0 (as far as I can test for)
Nitrites. 0. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nitrates 0. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Calcium 420-440
DKH 8.0-8.5.

I had zoas in a nano build for 3 months and they lasted and did fine under pretty similar water parameters. I figured gsp would thrive in my new 65 gal reef build.

It is day two and the GSP polyps aren't even poking out to say hello. Just retested the tank to find that all parameters are the same. Anyone have any clue as to if it might take a few days for them to open up and do their thing or if maybe lighting could be too high? I have two AI primes mounted about 12" above the waters surface on a traditional 65 gallon tank. 18" deep, 24" depth, 36" width. GSP is mounted about 4" above the sand bed. Any hep or insight would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_1482549824.299404.jpg

From what I'm understanding, GSP should be able to thrive in mostly any environment and in low or high intensity lighting.

Thanks!
First off welcome to R2R!!! GSP is usually extremely hardy and do well just about anywhere in a tank. I would avoid direct flow though. I would give them a little while to open up, coral can be temperamental when added to a new tank.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I would also bump up the salinity to 1.026, maybe your nitrate is too low.

OP
OP
electricreef

electricreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. Those are the only two deals I could think of but I've seen extreme success stories where GSP was in intense flow and lower salinity. Working on adjustments now. Thanks for the help

OP
OP
electricreef

electricreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, I acclimated it for 45 minutes prior to a 5 minute coral dip in Coral RX prior to entry of main display. Pretty sure that is pretty normal acclimation procedure that wouldn't affect the outcome in a negative way

21chip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP in a established tank can take over and be very hard to remove it gets into the cracks of the rocks. I would isolate it to one rock unless you want GSP everywhere. Very hearty iv had in live in a frag tank with dkh of 4.9 i just bleached two large rocks that it on it.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :)

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R gang! :) You've done your research and patience is clearly on your side. You are already ahead of the game! ;) Fine tuning of your parameters and you'll be fine. Document your tank's progress and make sure your updates are picture heavy, because you know, we love pictures. :D

George.78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion I think that you should get some sort of supplemental lite.
I run 2 AI HYDRA 26 HDs and 2 48" T5s
My tanks 48x24x31" hi 150 gallon

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community!
I use GSP's to tell me whats up cause they sure like to let us know when something's not right :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back