Help a guy out.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting together an order for a large tank and I am way outside of my comfort zone. I have had dozens of tanks over the years but always ones you buy in a store and take home.

I want a tank 7-8 feet by 24-30 wide by 24 inches deep on a metal stand I can cover myself.
The sump and other support stuff will be in a fish room on the same level behind the tank so I don't have to do stuff under the tank anymore.
It will be in a basement with a concrete floor covered in vinyl plank.
My current 75 which I never drilled will probably become the sump.

I have an email in with Tankme USA and have done a configuration on Custom Aquariums.

My biggest grey areas right now are what glass to pick thickness wise and how many holes to have drilled in the tank, where and how big.

This is what I came up with so far but I am just guessing.
I chose 5/8 inch glass and 4x1.5 inch holes. and a 36inch stand
That should allow me to raise the sump off the ground and allow enough height for the drain to work well.

Your Configuration
Shape: Rectangle
Style: Full
Frame: Traditional
Dimensions: 24" x 96" x 30" (HxLxD)
Base Price: $2,404.00

Any wisdom you could impart to me so I don't do something really stupid I will have to deal with forever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ned

Approx Dry Weight: 447.00 lb.
Approx Full Weight: 2,785.00 lb.
Approx Total Gallons: 285.00

Front Panel: 5/8" Ultra Clear Non Tempered = $272.00
Back Panel: 5/8" Regular Clarity Non Tempered = $96.00
Left Panel: 5/8" Ultra Clear Non Tempered = $85.00
Right Panel: 5/8" Ultra Clear Non Tempered = $85.00
Bottom Panel: 5/8" Regular Clarity Non Tempered = $120.00
Background: Mystic Black = $184.00

Overflow/Siphon Placement: Custom Placement

Hole Drilling: 4 = $100
1.5 inch holes
Lids: No

Stand Height: 36" Steel = $2787
Stand Powder Coated: Yes = $380

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of overflow are you going with? I believe that will dictate where the holes need to be.
I was under the understanding that the bottom glass of most tanks are tempered. I have never had a custom built tank so let's see what some of the experts say on that.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks reasonable. I'd ask them whether they recommend a slightly thicker bottom. When I had a seven foot 265, the panels were all 1/2" but the bottom was 3/4". In terms of the holes, depends on what you intend for an overflow. I'd highly recommend one of the ghost style units. They typically require 2-3 holes along the top rear. Then you need to decide how to do the return (maybe a 4th hole) and whether or not to do a closed loop.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks reasonable. I'd ask them whether they recommend a slightly thicker bottom. When I had a seven foot 265, the panels were all 1/2" but the bottom was 3/4". In terms of the holes, depends on what you intend for an overflow. I'd highly recommend one of the ghost style units. They typically require 2-3 holes along the top rear. Then you need to decide how to do the return (maybe a 4th hole) and whether or not to do a closed loop.

The entire tank defaults to 1/2 inch regular glass in the configurator. I changed it to 5/8ths. 3/4 is an option as well.

I am thinking purely through ignorance that 4 x 1.5 inch holes will be enough.
If you buy their package ( I am not) they ship 2 Sicce 3.0 pumps for flow. I use one of those on my 75 now and dont think 2 would be enough for a tank 3 times bigger.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second @ca1ore with the ghost style overflow. I did an aftermarket one for my tank and love the minimal intrusion into the tank itself. Made a huge difference in the look of the tank not having the overflow protrude all the way to the bottom.

I'd recommend getting a few smaller holes drilled for the return lines as well unless the back of the tank will be hidden and you want to run them over the top.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back