Help a newbie plumbing! Herbie method

xaacuetara

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 16, 2023
Messages
49
Reaction score
7
Location
Mexico City
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I recently bought a new tank, now I’ve been working on plumbing it for a couple days and it’s almost done!
Just came across some concerns I noticed my overflow box has water intels above and below (like the drawing I attached) so I’m concerned that my main water drain PVC will drain a lot of water of the display tank In case I turn off the pump, so I’m looking for advice should I just add more height to the main drain line? Or block the low intel.
This is my first time plumbing and don’t want to make any future mistake that will cause headaches
Thanks for the help guys!

1717996025896.png
 
I'd personally block the lower inlets. with the current setup, if your return pump in the sump powers off for whatever reason, your display will drain to the bottom of the hole in the glass inside the overflow box, whereas if you block off the lower inlets, it will only drain to the bottom of the top weir. This few inches of difference can make a big difference in how much water your sump has to handle during an outage, depending on your display tank size.
 
I'm pretty sure those overflows with the inlets at the bottom have a glass backing inside that goes up to near the top. If it didn't then your whole display will drain through the bottom inlets and all into your sump.
 
I'd personally block the lower inlets. with the current setup, if your return pump in the sump powers off for whatever reason, your display will drain to the bottom of the hole in the glass inside the overflow box, whereas if you block off the lower inlets, it will only drain to the bottom of the top weir. This few inches of difference can make a big difference in how much water your sump has to handle during an outage, depending on your display tank size.
Thanks for the answers! I decided I will do that, blocking the intels seems the best option :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new