Help a noob with a 125gal mixed reef

Zbc1969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been doing research for a few days and could use some help. First off, I bought a 125 gallon used that isn’t drilled for a sump. I’ve been doing research on HOB style skimmers and refrigs but I’m having trouble finding any skimmers that would be large enough for this tank. Also, I want to run charcoal, can I just use a canister filter without the filter part and put a bag of charcoal in the canister? Any suggestions on a HOB skimmer that would work?

I know I could get the tank drilled and run a sump but I would like to avoid that because it seems like a risk to drill an old tank like this and putting a 40ish gallon sump under the tank makes me nervous about the added weight as this will be on the second floor.

Lastly for the setup, tell me where I’m wrong here. I get the tank filled with live sand, live rock, and salt water, turn on the power heads and throw a clown fish in to start the cycle. Then after the cycle finishes I can turn on the skimmer, refrig, and lights, and slowly add new fish and corals? How slowly do I need to add other fish and corals?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!!! This article should help you understand more about cycling!

OP
OP
Zbc1969

Zbc1969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R!!! This article should help you understand more about cycling!

Thanks a bunch! I’ll read through that

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch! I’ll read through that
No problem! And using a hob overflow people will say there own thoughts but if you keep up with Maintance they are all good I’ve been using one for some time now. I think in the end you will appreciate having a sump especially for that size tank.

OP
OP
Zbc1969

Zbc1969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! And using a hob overflow people will say there own thoughts but if you keep up with Maintance they are all good I’ve been using one for some time now. I think in the end you will appreciate having a sump especially for that size tank.
By hob overflow do you mean the skimmer and refrig?

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36g bow front with hob refugium and hob skimmer and I hate it. I wish I knew then what I know now. But I’m upgrading to a 100g sca plumbed so everything is underneath out of sight.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By hob overflow do you mean the skimmer and refrig?
Hang on the back overflow so water can travel down to sump without the need to drill the tank. That way you can have all equipment for example heater, skimmer under tank and out of the display tank.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I get ya, but then I run into the issue of weight putting it on the second floor. I feel like I’d be pushing my luck
Can you support the floor? Can you add more support?

OP
OP
Zbc1969

Zbc1969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the house? Will the tank sit perpendicular to the floor joists?

It’s a townhome built last year. I think I’ll be able to set it up perpendicular to the joists. Do the joists run the same direction on every floor? My basement is unfinished so I can look down there to see which direction they run

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been doing research for a few days and could use some help. First off, I bought a 125 gallon used that isn’t drilled for a sump. I’ve been doing research on HOB style skimmers and refrigs but I’m having trouble finding any skimmers that would be large enough for this tank. Also, I want to run charcoal, can I just use a canister filter without the filter part and put a bag of charcoal in the canister? Any suggestions on a HOB skimmer that would work?

I know I could get the tank drilled and run a sump but I would like to avoid that because it seems like a risk to drill an old tank like this and putting a 40ish gallon sump under the tank makes me nervous about the added weight as this will be on the second floor.

Lastly for the setup, tell me where I’m wrong here. I get the tank filled with live sand, live rock, and salt water, turn on the power heads and throw a clown fish in to start the cycle. Then after the cycle finishes I can turn on the skimmer, refrig, and lights, and slowly add new fish and corals? How slowly do I need to add other fish and corals?
1000 lbs is a lot.
Get a good test kit and watch parameters as you add fish.
Welcome
You could put the fuge on the 1st floor, below the 125.
More room

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a townhome built last year. I think I’ll be able to set it up perpendicular to the joists. Do the joists run the same direction on every floor? My basement is unfinished so I can look down there to see which direction they run

I have a 125, 6' in my living room and that room is a long span for floor joists. It sits perpendicular to the floors joists and on a concrete foundation wall. Water alone is 1000 lbs. Tank, water, stand, rock and sand your pushing around 1300 lbs.

I sistered my floor joists under the tank and added floor Jack's to support the weight and keep it from bouncing when people walked by.

I will say you will be happier with a sump long term.

Here's my build thread:

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome & u were smart to start w a 125, my first tank was a 60 cube which I upgraded to 93. Now wife won't let me upgrade to bigger tank... :(
Just FYI - cycling a tank with live fish is frowned upon these days and considered "old school". Instead folks use defrosted frozen shrimp or Dr Tim's to add bacteria and kick start the cycle. IME, after cycle I add 1-2 fish then wait at least couple of weeks if not more to allow tank's bacteria to catch up for sustaining additional livestock. Please be patient in the early stages to help minimize tank issues down the road. Those who rush usually end up with problems very often.

OP
OP
Zbc1969

Zbc1969

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome & u were smart to start w a 125, my first tank was a 60 cube which I upgraded to 93. Now wife won't let me upgrade to bigger tank... :(
Just FYI - cycling a tank with live fish is frowned upon these days and considered "old school". Instead folks use defrosted frozen shrimp or Dr Tim's to add bacteria and kick start the cycle. IME, after cycle I add 1-2 fish then wait at least couple of weeks if not more to allow tank's bacteria to catch up for sustaining additional livestock. Please be patient in the early stages to help minimize tank issues down the road. Those who rush usually end up with problems very often.
Yeah I read that write up that WIReefer posted and I’ll cycle it without a fish. I think I remember BRS guys talking about using a bottle of bacteria that you can buy at the LFS.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back