Looking for a mentor!

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a Paramedic looking for a mentor! This might be a little long but trying to give as much detail of what I will need assistance with.

Starting first reef tank with a 65G (pictured attached)

1) i do have a sump but after doing further research the one was discontinued for an unknown reason. Because of this and the fear of flooding my house on newbie mistakes, I might go with a canister filter with frequent changes unless I can find a good mentor to either DIY a sump or get the one I have operational. Which is most likely all I need!

2) I have about 90lbs of dry rock available for scaping and just need to pick up sand.

3) I plan on buying a better RODI unit from BRS

Once I decide on my filtration and pick get the RODI, I feel I should be getting close to start my cycle. I was going to just start with a typical clownfish for a few months. I am planning to go with a softie / LPS tank. I figure I would hold off on buying a light for the first few months.

My problem is going to be figuring out what pumps to get, overflows, enough light but keep it at a decent budget. I don’t want to spend thousands within the first month but I know I’ll double that within the first year easily. Willing to buy equipment piece by piece. I know protein skimmers are optional and not needed right away, just like the lights.

So With what I have so far I’m looking for a $500.00 budget to get my cycle going. Then I’ll increase budget once I introduce corals, more fish etc.

Here is my list so far
1) Tank 65G with stand
2) 20G sump (presumed, attempting to relocate the brand/model for easier guided instruction for install) I know I’ll need plumbing supplies and an overhang.
3) 90Lbs of dry rock (how much should I put into tank)

hoping I find someone I could have frequent conversation with as I’m really interested in this hobby.

IMG_2612.jpeg

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would use the sump, or you can buy a cheap tank at petco when they go on sale. You can find sump kits online to virtually make it a sump. Which isnt 100% needed. Personally if you can run a sump, do it.

Dr tims will be your best bet cycling wise. Personally i dont feel right cycling with a fish, kind of cruel imo, but we dont have to debate that.

Browse the market here for items, or craigslist if you want to be local.

OP
OP
Kipp's Corals

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the sump, or you can buy a cheap tank at petco when they go on sale. You can find sump kits online to virtually make it a sump. Which isnt 100% needed. Personally if you can run a sump, do it.

Dr tims will be your best bet cycling wise. Personally i dont feel right cycling with a fish, kind of cruel imo, but we dont have to debate that.

Browse the market here for items, or craigslist if you want to be local.
I don’t mind using dr Tim’s. That’s why I’m here, to learn different ways. I’m all about being humane. I would have to get an overflow** for an undrilled tank, correct? Any recommendations

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump is “pretty good”. Some of the passageways can become detritus traps. Not a huge deal. Not a bad sump.

Look into trigger systems for one that would fit in the cabinet but still leave space of power plugs and some stuff

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t mind using dr Tim’s. That’s why I’m here, to learn different ways. I’m all about being humane. I would have to get an overflow** for an undrilled tank, correct? Any recommendations
Yes! I am going to be honest with you a $500 budget not including corals is going to get blown through quickly. But look at used equipment in this forum and on Facebook marketplace. Also I would recommend you get a skimmer and necessary filtration equipment before you get the light. A skimmer will eventually be necessary especially with corals and make your life a lot easier. In fact you can run just a skimmer if you wanted to and have that be your only filtration equipment. My favorite HOB overflows are Lifereef a bit pricey but all custom and made to order and have never had a siphon fail/overflow from it in the 40 years they’ve been in business. I’ve heard good things about the Eshopps overflow too. The best advice is to look at the article sections in here, watch YouTube videos like BRS, find a few knowledge people, understand there’s many ways to do things in this hobby, and throw out the budget if you love this hobby enough it will happen eventually especially as you grow as a hobbyist.

Krux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the hobby, already some great advice to get you started.

You mentioned a humane approach - my personal philosophy is to consider anything with a brain as a pet and not an ornament. To that end, consider holding off on any fish until you can give them a good home, they depend on you to survive and thrive.

Following that logic, and if you embrace it, you will have a journey as a conscientious reefer and will be better prepared to decide where to invest in your hobby down the line. Your fish are your pets, do right by them as you would a dog or a cat or a bird. It seems odd, but they will come to know and trust you and you will learn their individual quirks and personalities, don’t take that relationship for granted.

Best of luck on your journey! Slow progression so you understand what you are doing and why will lead to the best opportunity for long term success and a life long hobby.

OP
OP
Kipp's Corals

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I am going to be honest with you a $500 budget not including corals is going to get blown through quickly. But look at used equipment in this forum and on Facebook marketplace. Also I would recommend you get a skimmer and necessary filtration equipment before you get the light. A skimmer will eventually be necessary especially with corals and make your life a lot easier. In fact you can run just a skimmer if you wanted to and have that be your only filtration equipment. My favorite HOB overflows are Lifereef a bit pricey but all custom and made to order and have never had a siphon fail/overflow from it in the 40 years they’ve been in business. I’ve heard good things about the Eshopps overflow too. The best advice is to look at the article sections in here, watch YouTube videos like BRS, find a few knowledge people, understand there’s many ways to do things in this hobby, and throw out the budget if you love this hobby enough it will happen eventually especially as you grow as a hobbyist.

Thats what i figured, i know that the budget will be blow through quickly lol! i almost bought a light then took a step back and realized introducing a light early is only for my viewing pleasure.

OP
OP
Kipp's Corals

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby, already some great advice to get you started.

You mentioned a humane approach - my personal philosophy is to consider anything with a brain as a pet and not an ornament. To that end, consider holding off on any fish until you can give them a good home, they depend on you to survive and thrive.

Following that logic, and if you embrace it, you will have a journey as a conscientious reefer and will be better prepared to decide where to invest in your hobby down the line. Your fish are your pets, do right by them as you would a dog or a cat or a bird. It seems odd, but they will come to know and trust you and you will learn their individual quirks and personalities, don’t take that relationship for granted.

Best of luck on your journey! Slow progression so you understand what you are doing and why will lead to the best opportunity for long term success and a life long hobby.
Very Well said!

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Former paramedic here. I’m new too so won’t give any specific advice but will suggest reading as many build threads as you can; that has probably been the most beneficial to me once I got beyond the absolute basics. Find a handful of people that have tanks that you really like and follow their lead. This forum is a treasure trove of knowledge and experience.

Also, you should definitely listen to @Katrina71 and get a tailspot blenny!

OP
OP
Kipp's Corals

Kipp's Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my up to date equipment list -
-Tank 65G
-Sump: ESHOPPS ADV - 100
-Sump Plumbing: will be provided flexible hose and soft return tubing (i think the PF300 allows)
-HOB OF: Eshopps PF-300
-Protein Skimmer: Reef octopus Classic 110-SSS
-Return Pump: 800GPH, 19.99 on amazon, APRHOOD 800
- Doctor Tim's: Cycling organisms.
-Heater: 300W marineland
-Heater Controller: Inkbird
-Aqua Rock: See thumbnails
-SAND: AWAITING RECOMMENDATIONS.
-Refug Light: still deciding, figure i wont need this right away (unless its better to get it going during cycle, thoughts?)

P.S i just did the math for all supplies purchased over the course of this year and i am up to $1,174.00 --> this is what it costs me to get the tank cycled lol! im sure you guys have muchhhhhh more invested over the years. still not a horrible price, all equipment is bought "used"

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: I found the model easier then I thought I would lol

Eshopps ADV-100 Advance Sump/Refugium 75-125 Gallons​

That sump is fine. Do a 48 hour leak check in the garage to ease your mind. My Eshoops sump is 15 years old. Is your tank drilled? I thought I could get by with a canister filter but you can't. It's only good for mechanical filtration aka a filter sock in a sump. I had to add a HOB skimmer.

Look into building an aquascape with reefsafe mortar. Place it in a Brute or tub with a piece of dryrock and let it sit at least a month while you figure out a strategy. The more beneficial bacteria that builds up on it the easier time you will have.

Don't plan on getting any Coral for about 6 months and leave your lights off for a couple of months. The fish don't mind.

Don't get any tangs or foxface. Your tank is too small. Pick out a pair of clowns you like to start. Go from there. There are always bargains in the sale section and lots of people are running knock off lights nowadays and are extremely happy.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my up to date equipment list -
-Tank 65G
-Sump: ESHOPPS ADV - 100
-Sump Plumbing: will be provided flexible hose and soft return tubing (i think the PF300 allows)
-HOB OF: Eshopps PF-300
-Protein Skimmer: Reef octopus Classic 110-SSS
-Return Pump: 800GPH, 19.99 on amazon, APRHOOD 800
- Doctor Tim's: Cycling organisms.
-Heater: 300W marineland
-Heater Controller: Inkbird
-Aqua Rock: See thumbnails
-SAND: AWAITING RECOMMENDATIONS.
-Refug Light: still deciding, figure i wont need this right away (unless its better to get it going during cycle, thoughts?)

P.S i just did the math for all supplies purchased over the course of this year and i am up to $1,174.00 --> this is what it costs me to get the tank cycled lol! im sure you guys have muchhhhhh more invested over the years. still not a horrible price, all equipment is bought "used"
Using live sand from TampaBaySaltwater will exponentially speed things up for you. I'd get a 50# bag of caribsea special grade dry sand and 20# from TBS live sand.

You are going to want a backup return pump. That will not last long. While it might state 800gph, you will be lucky to get 250gph which is still fine for that size tank. I'd suggest the Jebao 1000gph equivalent (They size theirs by liters so you will need the 3500 or so just do the math). It's DC, cheap, and decent quality.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For flow, I recently got a Jebao ECP-90 for my 40gal and it rocks. I like it way better than my $1000 MP40s in my main. I think a ECP120 on one end and a round one or two on the back wall would suit your needs. I'd start with just the gyre though and see how things look.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know you are anxious to get some Coral but I can almost guarantee you that you are going to have a lot of problems if you don't wait a minimum of 4 months using that dry rock and you will end up selling the stuff like 90% of the people that come in hot to this hobby. You are best off to wait until you have coralline. Adding TBS rubble to the sump would probably cut the time in half.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank potentially drillable (non-tempered glass on the back)?
If so, I'd think about that before moving forward.
*I only mention that as someone running a NO sump tank and thinking about what I'd ideally do if I ever start over

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back