Help aggression issues

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m basically having so many issues I’m so frustrated please help me. Have had a swissguard basslet for half a year and started my tank with a YWG and clownfish 2 yrs ago. Nothing picks on goby. Clown just started picking on basslet. Trying to rehome clown. Just got a yellow banded possum wrasse today from TSM aquatics. Immediately my swissguard basslet is going after the wrasse, and I’ve never ever seen so much as a touch of aggression from it. I’m so upset because I just paid a lot of money for the wrasse and they are supposed to get along. This is a 20 g long tank with good rock work and caves. Please someone help I don’t know what to do! The shape of them isn’t even that similar and the lines are horizontal on basslet and vertical on the wrasse. I’m not new but I’ve never had aggression problems with “peaceful” fish. Now I’m not sure if I have to rehome the basslet or wrasse. The basslet will go up to the wrasse and shake violently then hit the wrasse with its tail, and then bite it to the point I saw scales fly off. Please any advice is welcome I’m having a panic attack.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rearrange the tank scape. Both are territorial fish (so was the clown) and doesn’t like intruders. At the moment, the whole tank belongs to the basslet, everyone else is a competitor. Changing territories gives the wrasse a chance to settle in.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rearrange the tank scape. Both are territorial fish (so was the clown) and doesn’t like intruders. At the moment, the whole tank belongs to the basslet, everyone else is a competitor. Changing territories gives the wrasse a chance to settle in.
The problem is my rocks are bound together and coral is everywhere on the rocks. Thanks for the advice, I am trying to stay calm and probably am going to call my LFS and see if they can take the fish. Just going to give up on adding new fish. Cant always get what I want I guess :/
I used caribsea life rock shapes and it’s difficult to rearrange them.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try to add more rock?

May not be enough rock for territory.
This is what it currently looks like.

Attachments

• 6701B5F1-254A-4067-BC9F-DC5BF9BC5C8F.jpeg
    6701B5F1-254A-4067-BC9F-DC5BF9BC5C8F.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 43

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye there is no place for the new fish to claim territory, currently basslet owns it all , I just had to add a bunch of rock / cave system to my tank because I added a dragon wrasse wit a six line already established. Dragon wrasse claimed the new scape

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with dvgyfresh. Fish usually respect the oldest member. And don't want to attempt to claim that taken turf. Sorry :(

I will say, beautiful tank with a beautiful fish. You don't need a lot of fish to make it impressive.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The swissgaurd and the wrasse do look alike. Their body shapes are similar. They prob hunt on the same part of the reef.
Also too small of a tank for those fish.
-d

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a small tank and adding fish can be a crap shoot. Bassets are semi-aggressive fish and possom wrasses like to hug the rock which is the basslets territory and pick pods and food off the rock... again the basslets food. They are competitors.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The swissgaurd and the wrasse do look alike. Their body shapes are similar. They prob hunt on the same part of the reef.
Also too small of a tank for those fish.
-d

It's a small tank and adding fish can be a crap shoot. Bassets are semi-aggressive fish and possom wrasses like to hug the rock which is the basslets territory and pick pods and food off the rock... again the basslets food. They are competitors.
You are both right! Thanks a ton, Im setting up another tank for possum, have him safe in a large acclimation box inside my 20g until its finished :) I do feel like a noob every so often, but im always learning so I guess thats good.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.8%
Back