HELP ALL FISH DISAPPEARING DOWN TO 1!!!!

Rbell93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so this is the weirdest issue..
I've had tank up for about 6 months (not including cycle). It is a 40 breeder with 20 gallon sump.
It HAD -2 clowns w/ a nem, 1" blue tang, 2" convict tang, flame angle all of which got along and never had issues
- other things are roughly 8 corals mixed, hermits, and snails, the corals have been growing great, all inverts still alive.
I havnt had any algae issues its been pretty easy going and successful project luckily.....until...
All of a sudden every other week i was losing a fish and i mean GONE. No body, no sign of sickness, moved every rock in tank to find, not on floor, not in kitchen, not in my car, not at work in my desk, not visiting the neighbors, GONE!
Also after each fish disappearance I got all parameters tested at LFS and nothing significant/bad ever popped up.
I saw my black/white clown last night at 10:15 before going to bed and at 7:15 this morning he was gone so im down to one last clown and thats it.
HELP SOLVE THE MYSTERY because im convinced i have a robber or they are flopping to the toilet like finding nemo

OP
OP
Rbell93

Rbell93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if they didnt floor hop then they died and the hermits and snails took care of the body you have to figure out why your fish are dying
That is my struggle, we notice they go missing within 12 hours id think, (small tank and we keep it clean). and always look and dont have any clues

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not any chance that a bobbit worm have established him/herself? If you look for your latest disappearing clown tonight with taking up all stones and do not find it - when it must be something larger than a hermit showing around

Sincerely Lasse

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my struggle, we notice they go missing within 12 hours id think, (small tank and we keep it clean). and always look and dont have any clues
What's your cuc.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many hermits do you have if your tank? I can't imagine your CuC doing that so quickly. Especially multiple fish. In addition, you should be seeing a nitrate spike because of fish death.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here are some possibilities:

- Kids, cats, or dogs got them?
- Something is rusting? You should get an ICP test and verify your water quality.
- Do you use tapwater?
- Bad hitchhiker got the fish?
- Used chemicals near the tank?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way in 12 hours that cuc is completely eating a fish with no trace left
That's what I was leaning towards just wanted to make sure. Also the timing every other week. Sounds like something bigger. Eats full than hungry eats full pretty. I would take a skewer through the sand to see if you kick something up

Last edited:

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something like that once - and could not solve it. It was in a 29g with the most rock per gallon I've ever tried and a tight lid. And while I can't say for sure I figured it out, I will say that when I broke that tank down, I found a lot of very large and healthy hitchhikers that I never knew were there in the rockwork. I think one or more of them ate my missing 2 or 3 fish.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something like that once - and could not solve it. It was in a 29g with the most rock per gallon I've ever tried and a tight lid. And while I can't say for sure I figured it out, I will say that when I broke that tank down, I found a lot of very large and healthy hitchhikers that I never knew were there in the rockwork. I think one or more of them ate my missing 2 or 3 fish.
What where they

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same thing happen to me except with high end zoas. I would buy huge rock and 1 week later half are gone this went on for 2 years I was a noob and very clueless. In the end I caught a Eunice worm 3 ft long after he ate about 5,000$ in corals. I tried to sell the worm after but no one would pay 5,000$ for him. I was just trying to recoupe some of my loss. :)He ended up in garbage can

OP
OP
Rbell93

Rbell93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was leaning towards just wanted to make sure. I would take a skewer through the sand to see if you kick something up
Thats a good idea, and this one we def saw happen about as soon as possible i will investigate more after work, wierd one with the black/white clown is the nem is towards top of tank and literally never leaves it unless when im feeding

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much doubt you will find anything in the sand. It will be under a rock or in a rock. You will have to move stuff around. But hey at this point only 1 fish left to disturb when moving rocks

OP
OP
Rbell93

Rbell93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very much doubt you will find anything in the sand. It will be under a rock or in a rock. You will have to move stuff around. But hey at this point only 1 fish left to disturb when moving rocks
Atleast hes the nice one... this clown loved fish but HATED me, id think hed keep the monsters away but guess my security is gone :/

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could dip the rock with a coral dip.

Back