Help! Anenome just being grumpy or dying?

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nem’s been unhappy for a while, not fully inflating (suspect Dino treatment and action causing upset)

Got home today and he was upside down on the sand. Popped him back on the rock right way up. A short while after he was moving to the edge of the rock, fell off and was just a crumpled up at the bottom.

He doesn’t smell (not in process of dying) but I know he’s not right. So much not right that he’s dying rather than being temperamental? I don’t know. While I’m unsure I’ve put him in a bag in the water to keep temp and prevent toxin leakage if he does die.

Advice/opinions please?!

0BEFC00B-11C5-4A87-A4D2-1DA0980EFBD4.jpeg 79FFFAFF-6BD7-4FFF-8B86-E3A7D4313178.jpeg 772BD806-04A9-4065-94DA-D14C8031B1E7.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0834.MOV
    1.7 MB
OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very unhappy nem. Its days are for sure numbered if something does not change. What did you use for dino treatment?
Combination of things that someone else on here had suggested; increasing nitrate and phosphate, dosing phytoplankton, adding coraline algae. Also been using Dino x as per instructions. Dino’s have been beaten into submission nicely and rest of tank is fine.

Params:
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0.01 ish

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well putting him in the bag is definitely going to accelerate what ever is going on. I suggest a huge water change and get the anemone in the tank in a basket. Or take him to someone with good tank parms for a while till you get sorted.
Which of the params are a concern? I might be missing something, but don’t think there’s anything alarming there?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really see anything in the parms you posted. To me the most important one to start with would be alkalinity. What it is now and what was say 5 days ago. That is what I test the most.

From the statement of using combination of things for dinos and now the anemone isn't happy. An easy solution is to do a water change to dilute what you have been putting in there. Sort of reverse the process quickly.

Allot of things we put in aquarium doesn't show up on the things we test for. So to get them out. It's usually water change and carbon for the go too. Some inverts are delicate to substances we put in aquarium. Hope this helps.

Also. Check your alk

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really see anything in the parms you posted. To me the most important one to start with would be alkalinity. What it is now and what was say 5 days ago. That is what I test the most.

From the statement of using combination of things for dinos and now the anemone isn't happy. An easy solution is to do a water change to dilute what you have been putting in there. Sort of reverse the process quickly.

Allot of things we put in aquarium doesn't show up on the things we test for. So to get them out. It's usually water change and carbon for the go too. Some inverts are delicate to substances we put in aquarium. Hope this helps.

Also. Check your a

AH. My alk was low (don’t know why I forgot to include that), need to raise it 2dKh, dosed one measure of reef buffer earlier and dosing another tomorrow.

The other params have been quite stable through my dosing for Dinos, so while there might be other untested things causing a pain, stability has been quite good. Put fresh carbon in last week and am also running a UV steriliser.

Could the alkalinity be the main culprit? His foot’s still healthily clinging and his mouth is normal.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, a nem won't nuke a tank immediately upon dying... unless death was caused by a powerhead and chopped up pieces end up all over the tank.

If you are able to check on it every 8 hours or so (thinking about overnight/sleeping), then you should be fine as long as it's in a basket or otherwise accessible for removal if needed.

Agree with water change and carbon (carbon both for the nem's recovery and to mitigate anything if it does die).

DON'T try to feed it right now though... It will just foul the water quality near the nem (assuming it's in a basket) and the nem doesn't have the energy to expend on eating. Medium light, medium flow to the area it's in, and cross your fingers...
Good luck!

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the cleaner shrimp be bothering him? You said the nem was trying to move... maybe it doesn't like the light/flow in the original area?

This is what I wasn’t sure of; apart from being deflated, there aren’t any other of the key indicators (mouth, foot, melting, smell). So he may well have been moving because he wanted a different place…it’s just the threat of their toxins that panics me. Cleaner shrimp could have been giving him a tap dance, he can be a bugger for that

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, a nem won't nuke a tank immediately upon dying... unless death was caused by a powerhead and chopped up pieces end up all over the tank.

If you are able to check on it every 8 hours or so (thinking about overnight/sleeping), then you should be fine as long as it's in a basket or otherwise accessible for removal if needed.

Agree with water change and carbon (carbon both for the nem's recovery and to mitigate anything if it does die).

DON'T try to feed it right now though... It will just foul the water quality near the nem (assuming it's in a basket) and the nem doesn't have the energy to expend on eating. Medium light, medium flow to the area it's in, and cross your fingers...
Good luck!

This is him right now…he’s still in the bag as I’ve was out and wanted to do the best quarantine I could in case of insta-death while I was out.

In terms of a basket…don’t think I’ve got anything immediately obvious I could use, apart from a sieve?!? Erm. A net? Any suggestions?

He may have been trying to seek lower light, as I’ve upped the white duration and intensity a bit (ramp up to 40% over 2 hours, 40% for 3 hours, 1 hour ramp down) after it was lower for the Dinos? 2A64674D-20C9-4962-8302-B48E57A00CE7.png DFF5A2EA-CF41-45F5-934A-F9A6F34F2F0C.png

Attachments

• IMG_0840.MOV
    49.1 MB

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is him right now…he’s still in the bag as I’ve was out and wanted to do the best quarantine I could in case of insta-death while I was out.

In terms of a basket…don’t think I’ve got anything immediately obvious I could use, apart from a sieve?!? Erm. A net? Any suggestions?
Get it out of the bag ASAP, for sure!

A number of things can be used to put the nem in... as long as it's able to still get good water movement (so it's not a dead zone). I wouldn't use a net unless you can do something so it keeps its shape. You can drill or cut holes in a plastic container (be sure to remove any sharp pieces and sand the edges or melt them a little with a lighter). I save the containers that grape tomatoes and blueberries come in to use for mushroom boxes... lots of diy options. Or a good old acclimation box.

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it out of the bag ASAP, for sure!

A number of things can be used to put the nem in... as long as it's able to still get good water movement (so it's not a dead zone). I wouldn't use a net unless you can do something so it keeps its shape. You can drill or cut holes in a plastic container (be sure to remove any sharp pieces and sand the edges or melt them a little with a lighter). I save the containers that grape tomatoes and blueberries come in to use for mushroom boxes... lots of diy options. Or a good old acclimation box.
I’ve searched the house, and the best I can find is this…a plastic box with holes in each end that can fit in a net thing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 26

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where your alk was at originally. But if your alk was at 8dkh and then dropped to 6dkh in a couple days. This could be why it's unhappy.

If your alk was say at 9.8 and it dripped to 7.8 over a couple weeks. Then I wouldn't suspect to see an issue that you are experiencing.

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where your alk was at originally. But if your alk was at 8dkh and then dropped to 6dkh in a couple days. This could be why it's unhappy.

If your alk was say at 9.8 and it dripped to 7.8 over a couple weeks. Then I wouldn't suspect to see an issue that you are experiencing.
8dkh originally, slow drop over weeks. So definitely dropped too low, but not massively quickly.

not sure if the videos are attaching, but he’s in the makeshift home. He’s planted his foot and has opened up (obviously not inflated though). We shall see what the morning brings I guess, unless there’s anything else I can do before bed?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see video. But with the recommended steps. Your anemone should be back to normal soon. The dkh in my mind at 6dkh is definitely a factor. If you do water change. That will help correct pretty quickly with all the issues. Good luck and keep us posted

OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see video. But with the recommended steps. Your anemone should be back to normal soon. The dkh in my mind at 6dkh is definitely a factor. If you do water change. That will help correct pretty quickly with all the issues. Good luck and keep us posted
Photos are shocking, but he’s still ‘happily’ nestled in his make shift box. Mouth normal, foot gripped. Will do a water change later.

Has he mugged me off with panic?!

Attachments

• 024F4710-19D1-4853-873A-F1616BD6A6B1.jpeg
    024F4710-19D1-4853-873A-F1616BD6A6B1.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Sidney3773

Sidney3773

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Him a bit earlier in…put him back in the tank proper and by no means fully healthy and inflated, but looking pretty good after seeming on death’s door.

Attachments

• 2DC8AC14-88AE-4A2C-9B34-5BE9604EA20C.jpeg
    2DC8AC14-88AE-4A2C-9B34-5BE9604EA20C.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 21

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back