Help! Annoying whistling noise coming from overflow!

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5689D302-1359-489B-A7AD-80F9463DC01C.jpeg
27439C4D-E393-4872-B4A3-EF2D7D8132F5.jpeg
355F2AB8-5E27-4620-A870-0B290C271EF2.jpeg
A few days ago I started hearing a whistling coming from the pipe in my corner overflow that goes to the sump. There is a small hole in the top and if I cover it with my finger, the noise stops and the water level in the overflow lowers quickly but stops after about 5 seconds. I am not sure where the water goes when I do this but it does not overflow the sump. I also stuck a small cleaner brush in the hole to see if there was any obstruction. The brush came out clean. Any help would be appreciated since this noise whistles throughout the house AND I am worried it may lead to flooding..!? Thank you in advance. Here are some pictures.

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you possibly widen the hole? Or change the style of cap to one designed to allow airflow?

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you possibly widen the hole? Or change the style of cap to one designed to allow airflow?
I could but I have had this tank set up now for 13 months and this has not happened before. Its running with the same equipment and pumps. What do you think is causing this? Thanks for replying so late. I am hoping to resolve this before going to bed.

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing for sure, my guess would be buildup in the pipes(calcium, algae, etc) which would create higher pressure, leading to a stronger flow of air being forced through the hole, creating the whistle. If you can try and "snake" your pipes with a long wire brush. I imagine even if you can really see a dif, the pressure in the lines has slightly increased.

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing for sure, my guess would be buildup in the pipes(calcium, algae, etc) which would create higher pressure, leading to a stronger flow of air being forced through the hole, creating the whistle. If you can try and "snake" your pipes with a long wire brush. I imagine even if you can really see a dif, the pressure in the lines has slightly increased.
*cant really see a dif

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*cant really see a dif
I think I figured it out. I have those two sponges sitting at the top of the overflow to cut down on the water noise coming into the overflow. When I rinsed them out yesterday during a wayer change, I guess I didn’t seat them well and there is a small knob to adjust the flow and it was rubbing the black pipe just enough to make the noise! Argh! Thank you so much for trying to help me. Your last suggestion sounded correct and would have been my next option. Thanks again!

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured it out. I have those two sponges sitting at the top of the overflow to cut down on the water noise coming into the overflow. When I rinsed them out yesterday during a wayer change, I guess I didn’t seat them well and there is a small knob to adjust the flow and it was rubbing the black pipe just enough to make the noise! Argh! Thank you so much for trying to help me. Your last suggestion sounded correct and would have been my next option. Thanks again!
Good news everyone! Glad you figured it out. Sounds like the best kind of issue. Pain ol operator error. The easiest and cheapest issue to fix.
And just in time. Sleep tight. Dream of reefs[emoji1]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back