HELP!! Best method of trapping fish!?

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm dealing with a brooklynella outbreak in my tank right now and have to take all my fish to QT quickly before any others die (3 have died already). I've done a post about it if anyone is interested about that.

I've already caught my clowns, but my anthias and YWG are very hard to catch. I've been trying a soda bottle trap for the watchman, but it hasn't worked so far.

I can't tear apart the tank because I have lots of corals and sponges growing on them.

Anybody have any other ideas? I need to start treatment ASAP!

Thanks so much guys :)

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are various traps you can buy, but some fish will take some time and multiple feedings with it in the tank before entering (if luring with food).

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are various traps you can buy, but some fish will take some time and multiple feedings with it in the tank before entering (if luring with food).
Yes this is how I caught the clowns, but the anthias and watchman I guess are too quick for my net. Any traps you recommend?

Edit: Misread your comment. I caught the clowns by luring them into my net with food, not a trap.

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain it as much as you can and then corner the fish. The less water the better.
Oh that's a good one. I'm just a bit worried about the corals staying out of the water for a long period of time. How long can a mixed reef be out of water?

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minutes, IMHO. The quicker the better
Eesh.. Okay. I do have to do a WC in the tank anyways. I guess I can drain out 10 gallons and try to catch the anthias that way, but the watchman is going to just stay in its rock unfortunately. Any ideas for him?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's a good one. I'm just a bit worried about the corals staying out of the water for a long period of time. How long can a mixed reef be out of water?
I’ve found coral can stay out of water for Atleast 30 minutes as long as it’s kept wet. Depending on type will say how long it can stay out. I believe SPS can stay out for the longest time as it’s more natural for SPS to be out in the open during Spring and Neap Tides. I think many people often forget that in the wild many corals we own aren’t always totally submerged and as long as they remain wet, they can be out of water for a while until high tide.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an acrylic box once with a trap door. Put food in it and tie fish line to it so you can be in the back end of the room and around a corner. When they go in the box to eat the food. Pull the line and trap them in the box. All I got.
Good luck
D

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm dealing with a brooklynella outbreak in my tank right now and have to take all my fish to QT quickly before any others die (3 have died already). I've done a post about it if anyone is interested about that.

I've already caught my clowns, but my anthias and YWG are very hard to catch. I've been trying a soda bottle trap for the watchman, but it hasn't worked so far.

I can't tear apart the tank because I have lots of corals and sponges growing on them.

Anybody have any other ideas? I need to start treatment ASAP!

Thanks so much guys :)
Soda bottle trap worked really well for me. I caught my sandsifting goby and sixline with it. I know you are trying to catch them fast, so draining the tank is probably the best option.

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just wanted to do an update.

Thank you all for your ideas, they were all great! I ended up just taking out most of the water and rocks and put them into a tub while I took the fish out. They're all finally in quarantine and I can finally start the fallow period.

I'll def keep everyone's suggestions if I ever need to take fish out again!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back