Help blue tang getting thin

Mohammad.ki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleas help my i have big blue tank day by day they are getting more thin i feed them allot last week and she is eating well and allot but not getting fatty why ??? I am feeding Mysis now frozin but she did not like it allot and when i feed pills they eat all of them pleas help me i do not want to lose it scared if she keep like this will lose balance and end to die

2180821D-92DF-47F4-9154-018200631AE1.jpeg 24A88810-11A2-426D-86AC-F7EE16151B4A.jpeg A6DEEFEB-C365-4E20-8FB8-6615B704CA3A.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get an autofeeder and have it feed at least 4 times a day. Those pellets are good and I have fish outliving wild counter parts using them in autofeeders. It will take time for it to gain wieght so be patient. But keep in mind fish can have internal parasites we can't do anything about.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleas help my i have big blue tank day by day they are getting more thin i feed them allot last week and she is eating well and allot but not getting fatty why ??? I am feeding Mysis now frozin but she did not like it allot and when i feed pills they eat all of them pleas help me i do not want to lose it scared if she keep like this will lose balance and end to die

2180821D-92DF-47F4-9154-018200631AE1.jpeg 24A88810-11A2-426D-86AC-F7EE16151B4A.jpeg A6DEEFEB-C365-4E20-8FB8-6615B704CA3A.jpeg
So I have a baby blue tang I rescued with a bunch of scaring (aggression in is previous tank) along with bad water quality. He was very thin like this and his coloring was/is all messed up. Once I got him in my tank I feed frozen Algae and Brine Shrimp from Hikiri and put dried nori on a clip for him to eat. I also soak his food in Selcon Concentrate for supplement booster. I would maybe change his diet and check water parameters and see if this helps him. Vetteguy and Jay Hemdel (not sure if I spelled their names right) are fish medics and they helped me a lot with my tang. #fishmedic

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a baby blue tang I rescued with a bunch of scaring (aggression in is previous tank) along with bad water quality. He was very thin like this and his coloring was/is all messed up. Once I got him in my tank I feed frozen Algae and Brine Shrimp from Hikiri and put dried nori on a clip for him to eat. I also soak his food in Selcon Concentrate for supplement booster. I would maybe change his diet and check water parameters and see if this helps him. Vetteguy and Jay Hemdel (not sure if I spelled their names right) are fish medics and they helped me a lot with my tang. #fishmedic
Also maybe try posting this to fish illness form on here, that’s where the two guys I mentioned usually find these posts.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to see much in the photos. If the fish is actively eating, then the quality and amount of food would be suspect. The frozen cubes tend to be mostly water and therefor low in protein and fat content. If the fish accepts pellets, the consumed protein and fat will be higher. Also, other forms of fresh or frozen will be helpful, just check the content first to confirm they are not all water. While you need to avoid overfeeding to prevent rotting food in the tank, you need to give an adequate amount. So, watch closely and be prepared to siphon out uneaten food before it decays.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others - The first thing to try is more food, more often. It could be internal parasites, but those are rare in this species. It will take weeks to see any difference. You don’t want to let the fish leave uneaten food in the tank, but as long as it is eating, keep feeding it.

Jay

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others - The first thing to try is more food, more often. It could be internal parasites, but those are rare in this species. It will take weeks to see any difference. You don’t want to let the fish leave uneaten food in the tank, but as long as it is eating, keep feeding it.

Jay
I would for sure follow Jay’s advice. He helped me with my blue tang and also has published articles on this site. Very reliable fish medic for sure

OP
OP
Mohammad.ki

Mohammad.ki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all about this information

i have one more thing some times when i feed the blue tang become craze they eat all the food but still skinny but they they go near the wave maker The wave maker is catching him ,so they sticks to it it happened twice and now they force me to turn it off this mean the blue tang body is week right or what ??? Also i am feeding now misis and flake food now when it will show fatty
Pleas help me to save her it big size blue tang @Jay Hemdal @littlefoxx @threebuoys @vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for all about this information

i have one more thing some times when i feed the blue tang become craze they eat all the food but still skinny but they they go near the wave maker The wave maker is catching him ,so they sticks to it it happened twice and now they force me to turn it off this mean the blue tang body is week right or what ??? Also i am feeding now misis and flake food now when it will show fatty
Pleas help me to save her it big size blue tang @Jay Hemdal @littlefoxx @threebuoys @vetteguy53081
very inadequate diet and may explain thin body despite intake. Its lacking vitamins, fats and aminos much needed with this diet and sounds like the fish has become weak.
Reduce the water flow strength a little and If this fish is still eating, add some of the following foods to its diet:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is getting stuck to a pump intake, that is a sign it is becoming very weak. Can you post a video of the fish?
Jay

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed him whatever he will eat, multiple times a day until he stops eating. Normally for Tangs, I just put in Nori clips, enough for them to have it all day long, early evening as the light turns out then the nori clips run out. Hipo blue tang is different than other tangs in that they normally don't graze much but more of a planktonic feeder. You said you feed him "pill" and went crazy and eat a lot. I think you mean Pellets food? If this is the case, get an automatic feeder and feed him 4+ times a day and this will fatten him up fairly quickly.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect some type of internal parasite or intestinal problem since it is eating. It is normally not that hard to keep blue tangs fat.

OP
OP
Mohammad.ki

Mohammad.ki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for help and fast reply

Regardeg seaweed i found omega one brand but red or brown seaweed the green one one small piece not sheet with clip ,so which one i should buy for blue tang red or brown one untill they get the geern one @littlefoxx and the nori i found the one they use it for sushi it's same or there is other one for fish

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for help and fast reply

Regardeg seaweed i found omega one brand but red or brown seaweed the green one one small piece not sheet with clip ,so which one i should buy for blue tang red or brown one untill they get the geern one @littlefoxx and the nori i found the one they use it for sushi it's same or there is other one for fish
I got the dried nori on Bulk Reef Supply. Very good store for all stuff reefing!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roasted Sushi Nori is good. it is cheaper than the one you find in aquarium fish store. I put 1/2 of these big sushi sheet a day. My hyppo love them, and so does the rabbit fish and my Eibli dwarf angel.
When the fish have eaten enough, they slow down catching the frozen food, or stop completely. If they still try to eat a lot, it means you have to give them more.

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally would do the following which works wonders... If it's still eating then mix your food for 10 min in "API General cure" and "seachem focus" together in a 1:1 ration. I use the same spoon from the focus for both meds. Perform it daily for 7 days or when you see it start gaining.

PS make sure to keep the carbon running.

Good Luck

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally would do the following which works wonders... If it's still eating then mix your food for 10 min in "API General cure" and "seachem focus" together in a 1:1 ration. I use the same spoon from the focus for both meds. Perform it daily for 7 days or when you see it start gaining.

PS make sure to keep the carbon running.

Good Luck
You shouldn’t feed general cure orally, the prazi and metro have two different oral doses and when you use GC, you are stuck with the ratio that is set for water, but not oral dosing.
Jay

OP
OP
Mohammad.ki

Mohammad.ki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roasted Sushi Nori is good. it is cheaper than the one you find in aquarium fish store. I put 1/2 of these big sushi sheet a day. My hyppo love them, and so does the rabbit fish and my Eibli dwarf angel.
When the fish have eaten enough, they slow down catching the frozen food, or stop completely. If they still try to eat a lot, it means you have to give them more.
Exactly, today i feed them three times frozen mysis and small seaweed Pellets now fish calm down swimming slowly all of them . Thanks for advice

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back