Help....Can not seem to get the swing of this....

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them the whole time yes, I will slowly cut back on the GFO and try to eliminate it

I really think that is a good choice.

I just did a quick google search and found this article. Pretty good read!
I would keep this thread updated! Maybe bullet points of tank readings and I’d take some pictures of the coral each day. This is the perfect thread for others to learn from.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have close up pics of the toadstool and hammer? the torch and I think it’s a rose bta look really good

I don't right now my camera is trash at the moment. The Hammer that I suspect the angel killed was in the white spot on the rock it was at least at big as a soft ball. The green nem is doing great and the torch has been happy since day one. Thanks that's why when I came back I was heart broken.

I really think that is a good choice.

I just did a quick google search and found this article. Pretty good read!
I would keep this thread updated! Maybe bullet points of tank readings and I’d take some pictures of the coral each day. This is the perfect thread for others to learn from.

I will read that article and I will do some testing tonight and keep people posted how it goes.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I stopped using hi-cap GFO back in early 2016 I was only using 100ml/month with 115g total system volume.

There's a possibility your hammer was taken out by your fish and bits of floating hammer took out your corals.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank for 11 years, maybe just coincidence but every time I have tried running GFO I have had a bad experience.

At this point I would not say it is coincidence, it would see like a lot of reefers have had a bad experience with GFO. Everyone is convincing me to try and run my system of GFO so I will wean the system off.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toodstool is starting to show some polyp extension today and nothing has gotten worse the monti still has very light color. Going to test on next week and will update the condition of the tank. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I was told you should always slowly introduce GFO and Carbon. Like put 1/3 or half of what it recommends at first and see where it takes you.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use gfo to cure dry rock. Other then that go natural. I’d rather have too many phosphates then too little. The repercussions are easier to fix that way.

Frey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know for certain it was caused by gfo? Or the angelfish? Is it possible your tank got warmer than normal too quick or that the hammer was getting too much flow?

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't read through all the posts, but from your pic you appear to have started-out with dry rock. I've had 2 large reef tanks in the 165 - 185 gallon range. The first started with ~ 250 pounds of live rock. I had pretty good success right from the start. My latest 3-year old tank has "Real Rock" dry rock, basically concrete. It was a coral killer and / "uglies" magnet for a good 1.5 years. It took so long long to cultivate the micro and macro fauna needed for a stable system. Throw-in a bunch of pods and hang in there. It will turn-around, but a dry rock tank needs more time to mature.

Joel Kingsland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running your fuge lights opposite of your display lights? A lot of people run their fuge lights 24 hrs. a day. to avoid the swings in parameters it can cause.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know for certain it was caused by gfo? Or the angelfish? Is it possible your tank got warmer than normal too quick or that the hammer was getting too much flow?

Don't really know anything for certain, I think the Hammer was the Angelfish. I have watched him nip at other coral in the tank. As long as the person watching the tank turned the return back on after feeding I don't think the temp would have moved much. I typically see a .2 degree swing at most through out the day.

For flow I don't think that was it because the Hammer has been in that spot for at least 4 months. And was extended before I left. But I can't say what the cause was for sure.

Haven't read through all the posts, but from your pic you appear to have started-out with dry rock. I've had 2 large reef tanks in the 165 - 185 gallon range. The first started with ~ 250 pounds of live rock. I had pretty good success right from the start. My latest 3-year old tank has "Real Rock" dry rock, basically concrete. It was a coral killer and / "uglies" magnet for a good 1.5 years. It took so long long to cultivate the micro and macro fauna needed for a stable system. Throw-in a bunch of pods and hang in there. It will turn-around, but a dry rock tank needs more time to mature.

I did use dry rock I cured it for 4 months. Haven't really had the uglies. But I am killing my share of coral.

Are you running your fuge lights opposite of your display lights? A lot of people run their fuge lights 24 hrs. a day. to avoid the swings in parameters it can cause.

I run 12 hours opposite of my display lights.

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from reading through other posts throughout the years, whenever a rando unknown event occurs, it couldnt hurt to throw a multimeter in the water and check for stray electricity. Its not unheard of for heaters and powerheads and pumps to "leak" power into the water caused by age, defects, etc.
Couldnt hurt to check.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from reading through other posts throughout the years, whenever a rando unknown event occurs, it couldnt hurt to throw a multimeter in the water and check for stray electricity. Its not unheard of for heaters and powerheads and pumps to "leak" power into the water caused by age, defects, etc.
Couldnt hurt to check.

I have heard of some issues with that, it didn't cross my mind but I will check for sure to see if there is anything that is leaking electricity into the tank. I did notice it on a completely different set up a few months back I could feel the tingling in my hand when I put it in the tank and I slowly turned off equipment until I couldn't feel it. Ended up being a heater I replaced and didn't feel it again. Tank is shut down know but none of those parts went into this tank.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update.

No electricity in the tank when I tested will double check again later in the week.

My monti is making a come back, I is starting to show pink more. Toad stool is extending its polyps.

Tested water last night. I have been completely off GFO since the even started.

Temp 77.7 Salinity 1.026 (Hanna) Ca 474 ppm (Hanna) Alk 7.8 dKH (Hanna). Going to turn the dosing pump up a little more in hopes of getting in the 8.5 range. Mag 1480 ppm (Red Sea) PH 8.52 (Hanna) No3 .02 ppm (Salifert) Po4 .04 ppm (Hanna 736 then converted)

So far my conclusion is that the GFO and low No3 and Po4 for an long period of time caused the issue.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok update time..... I have been a lazy reefer the two weeks and didn't test my water (insert harsh punishment here).... But I promise I will be testing tonight after my store closes!

On a side note the tank is looking great! I am completely off GFO and I will say unless something crazy happens then I will stay off it for good. I have started to weight the food that I put into the tank. My thought is if I want to control the levels then I need to start at the source and it doesn't take hardly anymore time to weight it out and keep it the same. My chaeto is growing like a weed. I did have week or two a while back where the lights had not been coming on and I noticed a decrease in the chaeto but we are back up to full force in the fuge!

My Blue Face angel has been removed from the tank and traded to my LFS for some dragon soul haven't noticed anymore corals that look to be receding, so I strongly feel he was the cause of my hammer dying. My monti has made a great recovery I am see a lot of color (almost fully restored) and I have seen a ton of new growth on the rock it is attached to. I had some type of freebie "lemon" encrusting coral I got with a pack that I figured was a total lose but I noticed today it also has some color back in it!

I just wanted to say thank you for everyone that jumped so quickly this was a huge turning point in the hobby for me and I am in it for good now. After making the changes and seeing things turn around I feel like I have learned a lot and I will keep learning! I will keep posting updates for myself and everyone that might run into these issues!

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not prove it was the GFO but I have been running with it offline for 46 days and the tank is doing better than ever! The monti has mad a 99% recovery and is encrusting on more of the rock and a noticeable rate!

I have been keeping to a very repeatable feeding plan and it has kept my PO4 around .05 to .07 range and my Nitrates around 2-5 ppm. Lots of good color and polyp extension on just about everything else and the I really think the Angel was pushing other fish around because I see a lot more swimming around the tank from everybody!

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the monti that was what looked 100% bleached. I am still running the tank with 0 GFO,I have had the carbon turned off also considering running a small amount, maybe a cup, to polish water the some. But also at this point if it's not broke why change it.

165190.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back