HELP cloudy tank and corals dying

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mapping, here is me changing all the water in a fourteen year pico not under any harm. I did it because only a hypocrite would tell someone to cpr their tank from the sidelines

i took 33 mins to refill it solely for flair. Heh

12 hours later, insult event #257 for the reefbowl.

In that video, biofiltration bacteria are absolutely shown in their correct ability setting, the toughness revealed and weakness to exposure shown false. *i can change to any new salt mix at this time and it’s harmless.

and the winner is for the harshest water change shown on the site..........the goldfish bowl reef, little guy gets picked on but he’s tough like Royce

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your bacteria are not affected they’re temp overwhelmed. It’s important for you to do what’s listed here if you want the safest option. Interestingly, what we recommend for your tank to save it is ironically what I recommended for this poster to run to guide out his minor invasion.

and when people want to successfully make instant reefs at MACNA and other conventions, the run the same protocol
Okay large water change as soon as my water is ready! I hope it gets better.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are there was some die off due to lack of O2. If you have a sump, also lack of temp if your heater is down there.
+1 on oxygen. Wave makers don’t agitate the water enough for oxygen exchange. The cloudiness - whether ammonia related or bacterial - probably won’t kill that fast.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you are able to do another large WC, I'd get some seachem AmGuard happening.
Forget the Prime.
I'd also get some carbon running and get some major surface agitation going on.
Even though you have some ammonia happening, I'd still recommend trying to get some more gas exchange accomplished. Sounds like your fish 'may' be starving for O2, or it's coral chemical warfare which the carbon will help with.
Today all the fish are active again except that one chromis. They were lethargic before i added the uv. Now with the uv in for 2 days the fish have became more active. Not sure what the uv had to do with it tho lol. Water cleared up abit since adding the uv so maybe theres more o2 in the water now? Lol

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you are past the ammonia event now it’s a quick killer. Just handy to see now just how far we can go with nano cpr. your water doesn’t have to be fully removed out of concern like in that first nite you caught it

just a decent change and don’t stir up sand waste when pouring back in, that’s the real risk if any.

without the vids it would look like I was lying if I said I routinely set my old corals out on the counter for half an hour to train them. Navy seal frags :)
next time youll have thorough intercept options for sure.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just did the water change. I removed all the anthelia since it was the inly coral that looked like its melting. When i grabbed the anthelia there was milky cloudy water coming off it. Could this be the cause of the issue? Im guessing this melting anthelia is what is making all the other corals irritated. Maybe releasing some chemicals in the column?

image.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just did the water change. I removed all the anthelia since it was the inly coral that looked like its melting. When i grabbed the anthelia there was milky cloudy water coming off it. Could this be the cause of the issue? Im guessing this melting anthelia is what is making all the other corals irritated. Maybe releasing some chemicals in the column?

image.jpg
This bunch of anthelia is the size of my whole palm. Maybe 8x6 inches when fully opened. Its shrunk to about 2x2 and looks like its a goner. Im gonna toss it. I had anthelia almost die then come back to life but idk about this one

image.jpg

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today all the fish are active again except that one chromis. They were lethargic before i added the uv. Now with the uv in for 2 days the fish have became more active. Not sure what the uv had to do with it tho lol. Water cleared up abit since adding the uv so maybe theres more o2 in the water now? Lol
It sounds like you had a bacterial bloom and it was using up much of the O2. Probably 1 bacteria feeding off another that was dying back.
Until you get your WC done, keep the surface agitated to help with gas exchange and definately keep running carbon to remove whatever your dying coral released as well as to help remove whatever your UV is killing.

While this is happening, keep an eye on your NH3. When you increase O2 in the water you will see your pH rise as it drives off CO2, and this will make ammonia more toxic.
Kind of a catch 22 going on but you need to keep your fish breathing !!
Also, higher temps increases ammonia toxicity.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hard way. Now, anytime my water gets cloudy, I drop in an airstone.
Yes, this reminds me. Jonathan can you get your hands on a battery backup air pump?
I use 1 on my QT/HT.
Look for the kind that turn on automatically during an outage. Most run on a pair of D-cells

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you had a bacterial bloom and it was using up much of the O2. Probably 1 bacteria feeding off another that was dying back.
Until you get your WC done, keep the surface agitated to help with gas exchange and definately keep running carbon to remove whatever your dying coral released as well as to help remove whatever your UV is killing.

While this is happening, keep an eye on your NH3. When you increase O2 in the water you will see your pH rise as it drives off CO2, and this will make ammonia more toxic.
Kind of a catch 22 going on but you need to keep your fish breathing !!
Also, higher temps increases ammonia toxicity.
Big water change was done. Water crystal clear as usual and fish all doing good. Snails and urchin moving again. But corals still looking bad especially my torches. Not extended much and very thin looking.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this reminds me. Jonathan can you get your hands on a battery backup air pump?
I use 1 on my QT/HT.
Look for the kind that turn on automatically during an outage. Most run on a pair of D-cells
I have a pump that stays on when theres no electricity but it has stopped pumping air even tho its running. I have another one that uses batteries but i gotta manually turn it on when theres no power.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Water change will be done asap. Waiting for my rodi to be full. I cant get chemipure blue here i dont live in the states. Anything else i could use?
Carbon

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back