Help! Coral angel beauty has white bump

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone saw my other thread sorry for making a new one but the other one is kinda dying and the fish is now scratching up against rocks so I would like help quick. This morning my coral beauty got a weird white spot and I’ve been told it’s not ich, I tried copper but I don’t think it’s going to work. I’ve added new fish around 2 months ago so it could be a parasite from them. All the water parameters are good, salinity is right on, ph is at 8.3, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. He looks like it’s got fin rot on its dorsal fin and head but it’s not, it’s had that since the day I got him. The tank mates also never pick on him, it’s a mostly peaceful tank, thanks to whoever sees this!
2E299254-2279-44CB-BB33-8B452409A3F9.jpeg
B848E649-D6C4-496D-8575-CFDAC2BA667E.jpeg

One was taken in the normal blue light and I took one in the white light

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what that is but scratching is not a good sign. If it is an external parasite then a fresh water dip might help.

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what that is but scratching is not a good sign. If it is an external parasite then a fresh water dip might help.
Ok, he has stopped scratching for a few hours but I’ll try that freshwater dip, I’ve also been told it’s not flukes or ich because it’s too big, thanks!

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like Ich, but Flukes can be pretty big. Coloration in the white light photo looks to be pretty pale to me.

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like Ich, but Flukes can be pretty big. Coloration in the white light photo looks to be pretty pale to me.
Ok, I’ll try a freshwater dip and that should answer if it’s flukes or not, if it’s not it should help if it’s a parasite anyway

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks in bad Health
It doesn’t look much off from normal, I got him with those fin rot looking things on it and they just haven’t gone away and I’ve had him for over a year, the only difference I can tell is he’s got a white spot and he was rubbing against rocks which he’s stopped doing that, he eats whenever I feed him which is tetra marine pellets and mysis shrimp every other day excluding the pellets on those days, he also eats algae in between those times so other than that spot he’s pretty much normal, he always swims around a lot too, even with the spot

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is flukes, be careful and do FW dip for small amount of time. If there are a lot of flukes on the fish, and they all come off at once, your fish can bleed out. The best scenario is about half fall off in the first FW dip, then give it a day or two to heal, then do another to remove the rest.

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is flukes, be careful and do FW dip for small amount of time. If there are a lot of flukes on the fish, and they all come off at once, your fish can bleed out. The best scenario is about half fall off in the first FW dip, then give it a day or two to heal, then do another to remove the rest.
So as of this morning the white spot is barely visible so it has shrank over night, I’m not sure if it’s just something that will go away on its own but I’m not going to remove the copper yet in case that’s what’s fixing it, he seems more normal and isn’t scratching anymore
F9EE0E29-D9FB-4412-93DD-829F62F72F44.jpeg

Here’s a picture of him this morning, if you look really close you can see the spot right below his dorsal fin at the back

Last edited:

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it’s doing well! Have you dosed the other half of the copper yet? If your system is at half the recommend copper levels for treatment, it won’t do anything. That’s why your emerald wasn’t affected- with that being said, any pests also won’t be affected at those levels.

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it’s doing well! Have you dosed the other half of the copper yet? If your system is at half the recommend copper levels for treatment, it won’t do anything. That’s why your emerald wasn’t affected- with that being said, any pests also won’t be affected at those levels.
Oh ok, I haven’t dosed the other half yet, I also moved the emerald to another tank so he won’t get hurt at all, I’ll also do another water change after the spot is gone before I put the emerald back in, also, just to make sure I can put the emerald back in after only half a dose and a 50% water change, right? Oh and thank you so much for all the help as well!

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, recommended is 2.5ppm for the copper treatment and I did around 1.3ppm

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, I haven’t dosed the other half yet, I also moved the emerald to another tank so he won’t get hurt at all, I’ll also do another water change after the spot is gone before I put the emerald back in, also, just to make sure I can put the emerald back in after only half a dose and a 50% water change, right? Oh and thank you so much for all the help as well!
Instead of 1 50% WC, I’d do a 30%, then another 30% the following day. Then you should be okay to add inverts. what copper treatment are you using? Most take 14 days at recommended levels

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of 1 50% WC, I’d do a 30%, then another 30% the following day. Then you should be okay to add inverts. what copper treatment are you using? Most take 14 days at recommended levels
Ok, I should have one water change ready for tomorrow, I’m using copper power, it says to use one dose and it says online it’ll last around a month but the bottle says: Use at 2.5ppm copper: one fluid ounce to each 20 gallons of water. Do not repeat dosage. Unlike other copper medications COPPER POWER does not precipitate. It remains active in the water for many months to prevent new outbreaks of disease. That’s all the bottle says about the dosage

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back