Help diluting trace elements

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Need some help diluted trace elements properly. I'm heading out for a week, and have been dosing an AIO trace element at 0.3 ml daily. If I dilute at 1ml of trace element, to 7 ml of RODI, this would be correct? Or 2ml to 14ml if need larger amount. Any issue with liquids separating and not being evenly dosed?

Thanks!

Last edited:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to get 0.03ml I'm pretty sure you need 3ml of AIO trace to 100ml of RODI (which works out to 1ml AIO to 33.333333ml RODI.) Trace elements may not remain suspended in water like that though (usually you have to shake the bottle? at least I do), so you may want to get a magnetic mixing plate and set it on a timer just to keep it mixed up, but I am not sure if this is necessary or not...

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to get 0.03ml I'm pretty sure you need 3ml of AIO trace to 100ml of RODI (which works out to 1ml AIO to 33.333333ml RODI.) Trace elements may not remain suspended in water like that though (usually you have to shake the bottle? at least I do), so you may want to get a magnetic mixing plate and set it on a timer just to keep it mixed up, but I am not sure if this is necessary or not...
Sorry I dose 0.3, not 0.03 lol! Ok good idea will look into one for sure! Thank you

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then the math on 0.3 is 3ml AIO to 10ml RODI, or 1ml AIO to 3.33ml RODI
Awesome! Happy to know my math skills weren't too bad lol. For the mixing plate, should be fine to drop the magnetic bar in a red sea plastic container? Gonna use a empty red sea alk bottle to hold the mixture

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then the math on 0.3 is 3ml AIO to 10ml RODI, or 1ml AIO to 3.33ml RODI
My bad, I'm wrong, it's final volume over initial volume, so 3:7 sounds right

Edit: My brain is slow working tonight, been writing a couple of 10 page papers for school and burnt out

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Happy to know my math skills weren't too bad lol. For the mixing plate, should be fine to drop the magnetic bar in a red sea plastic container? Gonna use a empty red sea alk bottle to hold the mixture
Yep, the magnetic bar is fine in any container with a flat bottom.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the magnetic bar is fine in any container with a flat bottom.
INTLLAB Magnetic Stirrer Stainless Steel Magnetic Mixer with stir bar (No Heating) Max Stirring Capacity: 3000ml

Should do the trick?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
INTLLAB Magnetic Stirrer Stainless Steel Magnetic Mixer with stir bar (No Heating) Max Stirring Capacity: 3000ml

Should do the trick?

Yep, just have it on a timer that turns it on to mix about a minute before your doser doses and it should be fine. Is there a reason you're needing to dilute? Does the doser you're using not do .1ml increments?

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, just have it on a timer that turns it on to mix about a minute before your doser doses and it should be fine. Is there a reason you're needing to dilute? Does the doser you're using not do .1ml increments?
Perfect! Unfortunately no, 1ml min volume only

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may be worth just dosing 1ml every 3 days then instead of trying to dilute and spend money on a mixer... traces don't need to be as stable as calc/mag/alk
Also can't choose which days to dose lol. BM T11, little out dated

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Need some help diluted trace elements properly. I'm heading out for a week, and have been dosing an AIO trace element at 0.3 ml daily. If I dilute at 1ml of trace element, to 7 ml of RODI, this would be correct? Or 2ml to 14ml if need larger amount. Any issue with liquids separating and not being evenly dosed?

Thanks!
The dilution depends on the diluted amount you are dosing daily.

If you are dosing 10ml of solution per day, then per day the mix must be 0.3ml AIO + 9.7ml rodi.
So for a 10 day supply,, the diluted mix would consist of 97ml rodi and 3 ml of AIO trace, dosed at 10 ml per day.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dilution depends on the diluted amount you are dosing daily.

If you are dosing 10ml of solution per day, then per day the mix must be 0.3ml AIO + 9.7ml rodi.
So for a 10 day supply,, the diluted mix would consist of 97ml rodi and 3 ml of AIO trace, dosed at 10 ml per day.
Hi their! Would dose 1ml mixed solution per day. (Usually dose 0.3 of elements) so would mix 3 ml trace with 7ml of rodi to get 10 day supply

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back