Help! Favia Receding

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this dragon soul Favia for about 6 to 8 months now, and when I first got it it was doing absolutely great in the spot it was in. It had never grown, but it was happy.

About a month ago, I started to notice the top portion recede, and someone told me I should put it in lower light. Now it seems to be continuing at the same rate but not improving. What should I do? I have been direct feeding at that has not helped. The alive tissue looks healthy, and it does not look bleached. Just receding!

Before:
IMG_3442.jpeg

After:
IMG_3438.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide details about your tank? What kind of lighting are you using, what are your parameters (Alk, Cal, phosphate, nitrate? What other corals are around the favia? Are other corals having similar issues?

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide details about your tank? What kind of lighting are you using, what are your parameters (Alk, Cal, phosphate, nitrate? What other corals are around the favia? Are other corals having similar issues?
None of my other calls are having any issues. pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, DkH 8.5, Salinity 1.024. I am using an API test and a Hanna Alkalinity Checker. It is placed near the bottom of my stock biocube 32 in low/moderate flow.

What do you think?

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything else is opening fully and growing i wouldn't go chasing numbers. Post a full tank shot maybe something is bothering it. You could maybe try a coral dip or moving to a new spot in the tank.

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything else is opening fully and growing i wouldn't go chasing numbers. Post a full tank shot maybe something is bothering it. You could maybe try a coral dip or moving to a new spot in the tank.
IMG_3533.jpeg
I agree, this problem only has affected this coral. It was previously in the spot I circled, exactly where the clown fish is. Someone recommended I put it in lower lighting and that’s where it is now. This is a stock Biocube 32 and the sandbed probably gets around 60 par.

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it back to the original spot or put it on a disc on the sand bed. In my opinion it needs more light. I have mine under radion G4 pros that run around 65% so they are receiving more than 60 par. Below are pictures of two pieces I have and frags that have come off them.

Attachments

• Dragon Soul.jpg
    Dragon Soul.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 31
  • dragon Soul2.jpg
    dragon Soul2.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 45
  • dragon soul4.jpg
    dragon soul4.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 32
  • dran soul3.jpg
    dran soul3.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 35

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As suggested, you could try a dip to remove pests from the equation and then an Iodine dip. More light, with low to moderate flow would be my suggestion also.

I had a favia that was the best coral in my tank that went south suddenly. I dipped it in Coral RX then a week later dipped in Iodine. The Iodine seemed to help some but it still looked "iffy".

I moved it to the back of my tank on the sand (it's mounted on its own rock) and left it alone. PAR is 100 in the spot I moved it too (slightly higher than it's original spot) and the flow is moderate (slightly lower than its previous spot. It took about 2-3 months and it has now recovered and looks/grows great.

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move it back to the original spot or put it on a disc on the sand bed. In my opinion it needs more light. I have mine under radion G4 pros that run around 65% so they are receiving more than 60 par. Below are pictures of two pieces I have and frags that have come off them.
It’s funny that someone recommended the opposite. I will place it on my sandbed today. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
maxemorris

maxemorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As suggested, you could try a dip to remove pests from the equation and then an Iodine dip. More light, with low to moderate flow would be my suggestion also.

I had a favia that was the best coral in my tank that went south suddenly. I dipped it in Coral RX then a week later dipped in Iodine. The Iodine seemed to help some but it still looked "iffy".

I moved it to the back of my tank on the sand (it's mounted on its own rock) and left it alone. PAR is 100 in the spot I moved it too (slightly higher than it's original spot) and the flow is moderate (slightly lower than its previous spot. It took about 2-3 months and it has now recovered and looks/grows great.
I did a 10 minute dip in Two Little Fishies Coral Revive! I will keep everyone posted, thanks for the advice!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back