Help feeding yellow eye kole tang!

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a yellow eye kole tang from my favorite shop yesterday after a two week quarantine. Its not eating anything, including both the foods that the shop had been feeding it: TDO and hikari marine herbivore. I've fed nori, mysis and brine today, as well, and went so far to put some ogo from my fuge in the display. Any suggestions? It didn't handle the transition well and I've had to turn off the powerheads or he'll drift into them. He's swimming well and showing aggression towards other fish but no other fish has bothered him at all

20200807_220437.jpg

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params. 75 gal display, 25g in the sump. No reason to believe there are any problems with the health of the system. I moved the tank about six weeks ago, but only two blocks and the transition went flawlessly. All of the livestock was moved into my aquarium at work for a few days.

Screenshot_20200805-191721_Aquarium Note.jpg

myles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params. 75 gal display, 25g in the sump. No reason to believe there are any problems with the health of the system. I moved the tank about six weeks ago, but only two blocks and the transition went flawlessly. All of the livestock was moved into my aquarium at work for a few days.

Screenshot_20200805-191721_Aquarium Note.jpg

myles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my Kole he would only eat if I left the room even though he had been in my lfs display tank for a year. If he is poking at the substrate I wouldn't worry and would just give him time to acclimate.
Myles

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other tangs?

No other tangs. Two clowns, two chromis, firefish, ywg, longnose hawk. No aggression towards the tang at all. Im most concerned by the idea of it getting sucked up into a powerhead

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other tangs. Two clowns, two chromis, firefish, ywg, longnose hawk. No aggression towards the tang at all. Im most concerned by the idea of it getting sucked up into a powerhead
From your picture, he looks to be very healthy but how is he eating. He maybe lacking energy and may need spot feedings of seaweed. I also have found tangs do better with flow so if the is anyway one pump can be on so he has something to simulate its natural environment. My naso did the same thing and it took a confidence boost that it will be fed and he took off. Try garlic with his food as well.

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your picture, he looks to be very healthy but how is he eating. He maybe lacking energy and may need spot feedings of seaweed. I also have found tangs do better with flow so if the is anyway one pump can be on so he has something to simulate its natural environment. My naso did the same thing and it took a confidence boost that it will be fed and he took off. Try garlic with his food as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!
It hasn't eaten nor grazed at all since I got him on saturday. I put a small powerhead in my tank and will be adding a second small powerhead tonight. I'd really like to get the flow back up, but the tang drifts into the powerheads and current. I picked up a-la-carte from aquarium systems and I already had purple & green nori but I am still without luck. I have tried vitachem with all of the food options, as well. I'm starting to think it may be copper poisoning.

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it could be stress, keep doing what you are doing and give it a variety of food and slow changes. I personally have not had to deal with copper poisoning so not sure how to advise on that. My Tangs including a Bristol tooth take close to a week on average before they calm down and eat. Garlic and a variety could be your best friend now. My feedings are pellets in the morning, seaweed for the afternoon and frozen cubes and clams at night.

OP
OP
A

ARBurke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it could be stress, keep doing what you are doing and give it a variety of food and slow changes. I personally have not had to deal with copper poisoning so not sure how to advise on that. My Tangs including a Bristol tooth take close to a week on average before they calm down and eat. Garlic and a variety could be your best friend now. My feedings are pellets in the morning, seaweed for the afternoon and frozen cubes and clams at night.
Unfortunately, it died overnight. I had it for four days. It never exhibited normal behavior in my possession, and refused all of the foods under the sun.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back