Help figuring out skimmer height

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Reef Octopus RO-PS-2000INT off a local reefer because skimmers are ridiculously expensive and this is my first internal skimmer. I read something about recommended height for the input and output and I’m not exactly sure what that exactly means. Should I be measuring from where the water level would be or should I measure from off the bottom? And how many inches from the top/bottom should I have it? Sorry if this is a dumb question lol. It will be going in a sump I made out of a 55g.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Reef Octopus RO-PS-2000INT off a local reefer because skimmers are ridiculously expensive and this is my first internal skimmer. I read something about recommended height for the input and output and I’m not exactly sure what that exactly means. Should I be measuring from where the water level would be or should I measure from off the bottom? And how many inches from the top/bottom should I have it? Sorry if this is a dumb question lol. It will be going in a sump I made out of a 55g.

No dumb questions. As far as height is concerned, the level of water in which the skimmer resides in the sump is really the only height concern. 7.8-8.7 inches of water is the recommended level for this skimmer. So, depending on the depth of water in the sump section it resides in, you may need to make sump baffle adjustments or put it on a riser/stand (DIY egg crate light diffusers and zip-ties work well) to achieve the recommended height. The only other level you want to adjust for is the level of foam and it is generally recommended to have the bubbles at the level between the cone rim and cup base and then adjust as needed.

OP
OP
a;lksdjf

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dumb questions. As far as height is concerned, the level of water in which the skimmer resides in the sump is really the only height concern. 7.8-8.7 inches of water is the recommended level for this skimmer. So, depending on the depth of water in the sump section it resides in, you may need to make sump baffle adjustments or put it on a riser/stand (DIY egg crate light diffusers and zip-ties work well) to achieve the recommended height. The only other level you want to adjust for is the level of foam and it is generally recommended to have the bubbles at the level between the cone rim and cup base and then adjust as needed.
Thank you so much this clears up a lot!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back