Help. Fish Dying Rapid Breathing. Unexplained deaths.

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I had a rapidly breathing 7 inch Blonde Naso with no external problems and no bullying that unfortunately died 8 days ago. It happened quickly within 3 days and i had no idea how to help him. I made sure the tank has maximum air, i turned down the lights to maybe calm him down, and all the parameters are where they should be and ive done several water changes. But other than that since i didnt know what the problem exactly was i couldnt help.
6 days ago a 3 inch undulated trigger dropped dead out of nowhere which got me worried because they are very hardy fish and he was eating extremely well and swimming around.
2 days ago I noticed that my 7 inch Naso and 5 inch dusimeri tang and small 4 inch lei trigger are breathing rapidly. This morning the lei trigger was dead, again with no signs of bullying or damage, and the two tangs are both breathing extremely rapidly. The Naso is not eating and the dusimeri is. I’m positive that these 2 have the same problem as the blonde naso. The dusimeri is a healthy weight with a full stomach and the naso is a bit below weight. None of these 5 fish were/are gasping at the surface or lying flat on the ground. None are rubbing themselves against anything. I think its safe to assume they have plenty of oxygen but they just cant seem to catch their breath. My powder brown tang is also breathing rapidly but eating extremely well and swimming around. Possibly he may have the same problem. Can anyone help me identify what this infection or disease or toxin is? It seems to me that the same silent killer is spreading and killing the fish. The fish have no external issues, no white dots, no cloudy features, no body damage and no nipped fins. Besides the rapid gill movement which is a huge problem, the fish are/were in amazing shape.
I have many drugs that i can use including erythromycin, triple sulfa, general cure, super ick cure, prazipro, rid ich, kanaplex, methylene blue, fenbendazole, and maracyn oxy.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you add any other fish or coral? It sounds like velvet for which the treatment would be chloroquine or copper. Also were the fish stressed out by anything recently - if there was no new addition? @HotRocks @4FordFamily @Brew12

OP
OP
RyanFish

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your responses.

I have no live corals in the tank. Forget to mention it is fish only.

I added an emperor angel, unicorn tang, and banana wrasse about a month ago. Other than that I haven’t changed anything.

I was leaning toward something as catastrophic as velvet too but the fish don’t have anything on the outside. No white spots and no dust.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any scratching, head twitching, swimming into the flow of a powerhead? Reclusive behavior??

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your responses.

I have no live corals in the tank. Forget to mention it is fish only.

I added an emperor angel, unicorn tang, and banana wrasse about a month ago. Other than that I haven’t changed anything.

I was leaning toward something as catastrophic as velvet too but the fish don’t have anything on the outside. No white spots and no dust.
Sometimes it can be very hard to see, it can also be present without the external symptoms.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how long has this tank been setup? Is it fully cycled? Have you tested for ammonia?

Do you have a glass top or is it open so the tank can breathe?

OP
OP
RyanFish

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been setup for for 15 years. Ammonia is 0.05mg/l.

No scratching.
I have one large lavender tang that swims into the current of the powerhead but i believe he does it as exercise or for fun because his gills arent beating fast.

The lights are on and no one is hiding

OP
OP
RyanFish

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mardel coppersafe and fritz coppersafe. Can anyone tell me how excatly to treat for velvet. Ive been lucky to have never dealt with it before and want to do it right.

OP
OP
RyanFish

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a uv sanitizer that runs for 4 hours every night. A purigen filter and protein skimmer running.

OP
OP
RyanFish

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the symptoms of gill flukes? Could that be a possible explanation?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
RyanFish

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 3 or 4 months.

I’m thinking the best option right now is to start ramping up the amount of copper so I can get these fish breathing normally again.

Should i stop the purigen filter? And can you please tell me how to go about increasing and dosing the copper?

Thank you for your quick replies

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you're gonna dose copper right into the DT (since you have no corals/inverts)?

Yes, pull purigen, carbon, all filter media. You can expect the rock to absorb A LOT of the copper, so you're going to need this to test: https://hannainst.com/hi702-copper-hr.html

Also take the UV offline before you start adding copper.

OP
OP
RyanFish

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I’m going to add it to the main tank.

Both the mardel and fritz coppersafe have dosages of 5mL per 4 gallons. Should I follow that?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the mardel and fritz coppersafe have dosages of 5mL per 4 gallons. Should I follow that?

Yes, but the concentration of chelated copper found in Coppersafe is known to be erratic so you definitely want that Hanna copper checker ASAP.

OP
OP
RyanFish

RyanFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is copperpower less erratic? Because I just found i have a gallon of it too. Im buying the hanna tester right now. Hopefully itll be here in a few days.

I have acriflavine that expired in 2012. Should i throw it away?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back