Help! Florida Ricordea half detached from rock and folded over on itself

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Florida Ricordea frag that arrived with aptasia on the frag plug. The mushroom was half attached to a piece of rubble rock that was glued to the plug. As a precaution to not introduce any unwanted pests to my tank, I detached the part of the mushroom that was attached to the frag plug and threw away the plug.

Nonetheless the rubble rock with the mushroom is now epoxied to my rock scape, but the foot that was removed from the frag plug hasn’t reattached to the rock work. It is instead folded over and covering the mouth (eye) of the mushroom. It’s been this way for about 2 weeks. I’ve tried blasting a he mushroom with a Turkey baster, but it’s actually rather hard and doesn’t seem to want to unfold.

Is there anything I can do to encourage the mushroom to unfold itself?

IMG_0306.jpeg

OP
OP
ncfalco

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about mid level in the tank, maybe 10 inches from the surface. There is a Ricordea Yuma about 2 inches lower than it on the rockscape, and that is doing well.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about mid level in the tank, maybe 10 inches from the surface. There is a Ricordea Yuma about 2 inches lower than it on the rockscape, and that is doing well.
Maybe move it to the bottom of the tank for the meantime. About 3 months ago I bought one and got super excited so I put it pretty high. Long story short it bleached and it’s in a cave slowly getting more colors as the weeks go by.

OP
OP
ncfalco

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah I would do that it I could. The issue is that the mushroom is 3/4 if the way attached to the rock scape, so tearing it off the rock would likely stress it out even more.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, yeah I would do that it I could. The issue is that the mushroom is 3/4 if the way attached to the rock scape, so tearing it off the rock would likely stress it out even more.
You can break rock portion its attached to and relocate. While it sounds scary, you can also cut with sharp razor and reattach without glue. Excess flow will cause this to happen in many cases

OP
OP
ncfalco

ncfalco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks guys. I think I’m gonna try that as a last resort. Maybe I’ll reposition my flow so that it has a lower impact on that coral, without negatively effecting the rest of the tank. It should be noted that the coral didn’t detach itself, it simply won’t reattach that exposed portion.

helwrj28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also need help too! Coral is detached and I have it in a mushroom box with not much flow.. I keep finding it upside down

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back