Help getting amazing pics. Nikon D90

  • Thread starter Thread starter Loki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2012
Messages
6,313
Reaction score
50
Location
Rogers, Arkansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D90 and two lenses. A 1.8 35mm and a 55-200 4-5.6

I usually shoot in raw and manual when on shoots but I can't for the life of me get anything to look right in the tank. My white balance only goes to 10,000K and I am thinking that I need around 12-14k.

I need help getting the color that I see other people getting.

Thank you!
 
I use Lightroom/Photoshop or similar for white balance. White balance limits are much higher and you have a tint option.
 
Have you tried using a white card and shooting a custom white balance?

CJ
 
Since you're shooting in RAW, set the white balance, in post editing.

Another option, would be to set a custom white balance, set to your tank. Get a white styrofoam picnic plate and place a small pen mark in the center. The pen mark is only for focusing needs. Place the plate in your tank, under the lights. Focus on the pen mark, filling the entire photo with the white plate, and take a photo of it. Now, use this photo to set a custom white balance.

By doing this, you're telling the camera, "this is white." The camera will then adjust, to make the plate white. It'll then make the same adjustment, to any photo taken, when in that custom white balance setting.
 
I have not tired the custom white balance. I will give it a shot. Thanks guys!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new