help! glass thermo broken

  • Thread starter Thread starter iReefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

iReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
203
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
accidently dropped the 2 in1 glass thermo/hydro. meter in the sump and it hit the bottom and poped. tiny little metal balls fell out but i think i got them all out already. Should i be worrying about my mix reefs especially my sps? maybe run some carbon?

082920101216.jpg


082920101217.jpg


thanks for any input
 
Last edited:
those are lead balls, mercury acts as a liquid at room temperature. I would scoop out the sand in the affected area just to be safe., but you are probably fine
 
try to get as much out. if it is lead, it will leach contaminates into your system
 
thanks guys for your inputs.
Yes I did manage to take them all out pretty much. After 15 mins of inspection and from my eyes' sight, I did not see any in the sump. Although may be one or two are floating some where in the corner, could it turns into worse? hopefully not.
 
Last edited:
I've broke more than one in my sump and Qt. No biggie. Get the balls out and run a poly and you should be fine.
I stopped using glass therms due to that. Especially ones that don't have any auto-shutoff when they are out of the water.
 
i had 1 break in a 12 gal..didnt notice until about a weak or 2...and it killed all of my fish..............................
 
I did this 2 times in a 30 gallon tank,no problem.Every thing lived and was fine.Run poly,and get most of them out like I did,and it will be fine!
 
Ive broke several over the years but they were in my sump.I just sucked the balls out and ran a filter sock just incase.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new