OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so would the salifert testers be good enough for a reef tank?

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really doesn't matter what kind of test kit brand you buy.....Just go get any brand at this point. You say the tank is four months olds....Once it cycled did you bring your water to the LFS to check for Nitrate or Nitrite?

OP
OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, i'm brand new to the hobby and didn't know about all this stuff. I plan on getting a salifet test kit on monday, hopefully the hammer coral will survive till then

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, i'm brand new to the hobby and didn't know about all this stuff. I plan on getting a salifet test kit on monday, hopefully the hammer coral will survive till then

Why don't you start from the beginning of what you have done so far over the last four months to prepare this tank. This is definitely the right place to learn and get help so feel free to ask any question. The best thing at this point is to not put anything else in the tank and to take a crash course on Saltwater asap. With that being said, Take us quickly from Day One to now of what's been done..

OP
OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JosephRyan
Day 1: My tank wall full of algae that couldn't come off without taking restarting the tank(Didn't take care of it over for a couple months but I am starting to get back into it)
Day 2: Added live sand from the 3 month old set up I had before along with around 10 year old live rock: Also added new filter packages( chemipure elite, purigen, and filter floss)
Day 50: Waited a long time before adding 1 clown fish, then set up protein skimmer
Day 90: Added GSP
Day 110: Added anemone and hammer coral

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever done a water change? I do them weekly to monthly.

Minerals will deplete and potential excess nutrients or toxins can build up if you don't do them.

Use RODI or distilled water. NO TAP.

I siphon and clean my sand bed and use a turkey baster to blast debris off rocks and siphon them out with each water change.

OP
OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do around a 5 gallon water change each week. I just got a rodi about 3 weeks ago so I don't think that would be the problem, unless I am changing to little.

OP
OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered that test kit. I will let you guys know the parameters tomorrow. Thanks for all the help

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do around a 5 gallon water change each week. I just got a rodi about 3 weeks ago so I don't think that would be the problem, unless I am changing to little.
that's quite recent, it could possibly be a contributing factor, depending on what is in your tap.

OP
OP
J

Jaws0508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the money I've gotten in the past year has gone towards this tank, and since I'm underage and can't get a job quite yet, its hard to buy all of this stuff needed for a reef tank, but i'm getting close so hopefully everything will turn out right

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are flying blind which is probably fine for softies and even lps for experienced reefers.....

Time to get some test kits.
+1^^^^^^. This is very important! You have to know where you are in order to get to where you want to be!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back