HELP!!! How to do a dual overflow...

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 180g reef ready tank that has dual overflows in both back corners. I ordered bulkheads on Amazon after watching the video posted by Reef2Reef featuring Mr. Bill Wann. His advice was to use a Hayward or Spears Bulkhead due to quality issues using other, products that use a poorer quality material. I purchased Hayward Bulkheads that have a opening that only a 3/4 threaded pvc pipe will fit in. there are 4 holes drilled into the tank. 2 for each overflow.
The question...lol
I was hoping to use 3 of these hole for overflows to my sump, one main overflow, one backup, an one emergency, with the last one used for my return flow from my pump... will this work and give me the flow rates necessary for a mixed reef tank???
I am thinking that the reduction of the hole size due to the Hayward bulkhead down to 3/4 inch is too much restriction for the flow rate I need which should be at least 600gph right?? or am I wrong in that??
I really need to get some advice about how to set this up. The holes drilled into the bottom of the tank are 1 5/8 inch.. I was not expecting to have bulkheads that reduced down to a 3/4" pvc pipe, but its too late to worry about that now, I just need to have a game plan to get me going from where I am. thank you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back