gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

So I got this lemonpeel angel fish as my second fish. I see some white discoloration on their scale by their belly and bottom of fin. Im not sure if they are sick or thats just them since they also have those white/bluish lining on their faces naturally.

A74AC638-837C-4174-B0D5-AC1F248C2D0A.jpeg D7572469-D841-4BB4-86E3-320C7672026A.jpeg 58451C00-9D6B-4274-BCC5-57879421FB9A.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish?
Is it eating well?
Are there other fish in with it?
Have you medicated it with anything yet?
What are your water quality test results?
Thanks,
Jay

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish?
Is it eating well?
Are there other fish in with it?
Have you medicated it with anything yet?
What are your water quality test results?
Thanks,
Jay
Hi sorry didnt see the sticky note as I just signed up on this forum.
But I got my water parameter from lfs after cycling 3.5 weeks. They tested ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and pH using a one of those pool devices for more accurate results. I got 0 for ammonia and nitrite and 1 for nitrates.

Dj. Mustard the angelfish has been eating pretty well actually. Feed once a day. He often nibble on rocks. He hasn’t shown any sign of weakness. I have 1 clownfish and they are friends. Havent ‘t been aggressive to each other lol.

i didnt quarantine as I am new and I only have 1 tank and its the main one. Haven’t done anything as I am still trying to diagnose

They have been in the tank for 5 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed it smaller amounts, two to three times per day. Let the fish tell you how much they need - when their feeding rate slows down, stop feeding them and try again later. Don't let uneaten food build up in the tank.
You should monitor your ammonia level if this is a new aquarium.
As the the spots themselves, they are not normal coloration for this species, but also do not look like any serious infection. Things to watch for are lack of appetite, rapid breathing and white spots on the body and fins (smaller than these spots).

jay

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed it smaller amounts, two to three times per day. Let the fish tell you how much they need - when their feeding rate slows down, stop feeding them and try again later. Don't let uneaten food build up in the tank.
As the the spots themselves, they are not normal coloration for this species, but also do not look like any serious infection. Things to watch for are lack of appetite, rapid breathing and white spots on the body and fins (smaller than these spots).

jay
Thank you for your response. He's looking healthy still swimming around white color isnt really shown when no lights are on exvept when i have my blue light on. When should I do my first water change? should it be this Sunday as it will be a week since I put them in the tank.

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jay
I also searched online on photos of this species and it seems like they do have those white marks by their fin.

1612570729503.png

***photo from https://www.tankfacts.com/fish/saltwater/angel-dwarf/lemonpeel-angelfish_11

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response. He's looking healthy still swimming around white color isnt really shown when no lights are on exvept when i have my blue light on. When should I do my first water change? should it be this Sunday as it will be a week since I put them in the tank.
Water change frequency and amount varies and is based on your water chemistry values. Check your ammonia on new aquariums, and then, if that is ok, my general rule of thumb is a 20% water change every two weeks or so.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
that mark is normal. While Jay is asking for info, my curiosity. . . .

What is age of tank
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that mark is normal. While Jay is asking for info, my curiosity. . . .

What is age of tank
What test kits are you using ?
1 month. 3.5 weeks of cycling
added a fish last week.

I went to the lfs to get my water parameter checked accurately, they use one of those spinner pool device.
I also got it tested from my lab, work in chem lab. I initially bought the API test kit but I am planning to buy the Hanna kit

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1 month. 3.5 weeks of cycling
added a fish last week.

I went to the lfs to get my water parameter checked accurately, they use one of those spinner pool device.
I also got it tested from my lab, work in chem lab. I initially bought the API test kit but I am planning to buy the Hanna kit
Spinner pool device ?

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's like this but an API brand
I think API is just rebranding the LaMotte unit. Those work well, but the issue is that you have to rely on taking a trip to the store to get the test run, so spot checking isn't possible.

Photographs taken under blue light are very difficult to interpret. Take a look at the second picture, the size of the white spot there does not seem normal.

Jay

OP
OP
G

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think API is just rebranding the LaMotte unit. Those work well, but the issue is that you have to rely on taking a trip to the store to get the test run, so spot checking isn't possible.

Photographs taken under blue light are very difficult to interpret. Take a look at the second picture, the size of the white spot there does not seem normal.

Jay
Oh well I only went to my lfs to make sure what Im checking with my test kit matches what they have. Ordered my Hanna kit so it should come by this week. For the mean time I check my water parameter with api test kit.

0.25 Ammonia, 0 nitrite and ~5 PPM nitrates based on matching colors on API test kit.

Which picture are you talking about. If you see my other comment I also copied a pic of lemon peel angel fish online to compare to what I have.

My fish are still alive it will be there week 1 in the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back