HELP!!!!! I cannot keep a consistent water level in my tank!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reassurance. When I read about this, it sounded good but I was hesitant to start cutting pvc. I’m newer to a sump tank so I’ve been lost. It’s nice to hear you both recommending to do this so I definitely feel more confident now.

No problem. Like said above. It's the siphon you want to eliminate. Right now you are causing an intermittent siphon causing the water level to rise and fall randomly. By raising the water to hit the emergency drain then you will break the siphon and equal it out. You just want to lower the emergency drain so your water level isn't so high.

OP
OP
NalonT

NalonT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Like said above. It's the siphon you want to eliminate. Right now you are causing an intermittent siphon causing the water level to rise and fall randomly. By raising the water to hit the emergency drain then you will break the siphon and equal it out. You just want to lower the emergency drain so your water level isn't so high.

Gotcha. I’ll remove the siphon pvc tomorrow and trim down the emergency pvc for the max water level. Thanks again!

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up my mode infinity and you might have used the wrong pipe for the emergency, I know a lot of the pieces are close in size and can be easily interchanged. I will say make sure you have everything how you need/want it before doing your final cuts. The pipes with this tank is metric so you can’t go grab replacement from Home Depot/Lowe’s

PPPPPP42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $2000 on a setup that only goes together one way the jerks should have everything precut and labeled.
This is stupid.

OP
OP
NalonT

NalonT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up my mode infinity and you might have used the wrong pipe for the emergency, I know a lot of the pieces are close in size and can be easily interchanged. I will say make sure you have everything how you need/want it before doing your final cuts. The pipes with this tank is metric so you can’t go grab replacement from Home Depot/Lowe’s

Yeah. I think you are right. I actually think I know exactly what pipes I mixed up too but unfortunately that pipe is glued in so not much I can do. Just need to trim. I think everything should be fine once it’s trimmed. It’s my first tank with a sump and there really was no directions so I was clueless haha. Otherwise these tanks are awesome and recommend them to everyone! You’ll love yours. What’s size did you get?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite honestly I think he has exactly what I saw in the video from their website. The emergency drain looked so high that the water would run over the side before it could go full siphon.

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $2000 on a setup that only goes together one way the ******** should have everything precut and labeled.
This is stupid.

Yeah that is one issue I had when they delivered mine, no instructions. I am going to just custom plumb mine, converting from metric to imperial as soon as possible.

OP
OP
NalonT

NalonT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $2000 on a setup that only goes together one way the ******** should have everything precut and labeled.
This is stupid.

I definitely agree with you 100%. Would have made my life a little bit easier and most likely wouldn’t have posted this. Luckily, it doesn’t seem like too crazy of a fix.

OP
OP
NalonT

NalonT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite honestly I think he has exactly what I saw in the video from their website. The emergency drain looked so high that the water would run over the side before it could go full siphon.

I do believe your right. Right now I have no water draining down the emergency pipe only the other drain so it doesn’t complete the process. What you said definitely makes sense

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I think you are right. I actually think I know exactly what pipes I mixed up too but unfortunately that pipe is glued in so not much I can do. Just need to trim. I think everything should be fine once it’s trimmed. It’s my first tank with a sump and there really was no directions so I was clueless haha. Otherwise these tanks are awesome and recommend them to everyone! You’ll love yours. What’s size did you get?

I went with the 100. Have been in the process of setting it up for a month or so, I have been stressing over the plumbing for too long lol. But at least I will have extra metric pipe if I fubar up the stand pipes.

OP
OP
NalonT

NalonT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is one issue I had when they delivered mine, no instructions. I am going to just custom plumb mine, converting from metric to imperial as soon as possible.

I’ve been tempted to do the same. I actually called them and someone told me the pvc was 1 1/4” so I bought a 4’ piece of red pvc from bulk reef. Found out that the tank is definitely metric.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they had a tiny return pump running in the video to make it work. The water passing through the weir isn't disturbed and the tank level is the same as the level in the overflow.

OP
OP
NalonT

NalonT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 100. Have been in the process of setting it up for a month or so, I have been stressing over the plumbing for too long lol. But at least I will have extra metric pipe if I fubar up the stand pipes.

The 100 is a great size. I was tempted with the 75 but for the price difference it was worth it and I’m happy I did it.

Wheeldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 100 is a great size. I was tempted with the 75 but for the price difference it was worth it and I’m happy I did it.
Yeah we walked in the shop and it was pretty much exactly what I was wanting and tried to plan out custom a few years ago. Do you have the full stand sized sump or the smaller one?

OP
OP
NalonT

NalonT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they had a tiny return pump running in the video to make it work. The water passing through the weir isn't disturbed and the tank level is the same as the level in the overflow.

Yeah. I’m going to trim it as you said just a little bit under the teeth. I wish I didn’t wait this long to post this. I’ve asked multiple local stores and no one could tell me. All of you have helped me so much.

OP
OP
NalonT

NalonT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we walked in the shop and it was pretty much exactly what I was wanting and tried to plan out custom a few years ago. Do you have the full stand sized sump or the smaller one?

Have the ghost overflow is incredible. It’s nice to have a true 100g. And I have the full size sump. One day I’ll probably get a little smaller of one to save some room but right now it works.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back