HELP! I kill all my LPS

ScootScoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding LPS to SPS creates an environment where toxins are present. Running multiple mixed reefs, carbon is a must for removal
I use chemipure elite or blue
Additionally, look for any bugs or eggs.
Assure also that you’re not getting a false reading for salinity. Calibrate hydrometer.
Temperature range is 76-79, salinity 1.025 and ph 8.1-8.3
Hey Vette, I use chemi-pure elite as well i only have lps corals and some of them are doing bad too , been following this post on removing the gfo since my chemipure bag has GFO in it would you recommend to take it out if only doing LPS atm??

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding LPS to SPS creates an environment where toxins are present. Running multiple mixed reefs, carbon is a must for removal
I use chemipure elite or blue
Additionally, look for any bugs or eggs.
Assure also that you’re not getting a false reading for salinity. Calibrate hydrometer.
Temperature range is 76-79, salinity 1.025 and ph 8.1-8.3

This is super interesting. So you think the SPS and Zoa are just kind of winning an invisible war? I did think it very strange that only the LPS were failing but not Z's or SPS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is super interesting. So you think the SPS and Zoa are just kind of winning an invisible war? I did think it very strange that only the LPS were failing but not Z's or SPS
It’s a possibility. Try adding fresh carbon and see if you notice improvement.
Also add some aminos to tank which can be helpful for tissue health

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Vette, I use chemi-pure elite as well i only have lps corals and some of them are doing bad too , been following this post on removing the gfo since my chemipure bag has GFO in it would you recommend to take it out if only doing LPS atm??
Yes- gfo which Is an oxide can cause this
Elite will remove Some pho’s and nitrate as it indeed has Ferris oxide

ScootScoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- gfo which Is an oxide can cause this
Elite will remove Some pho’s and nitrate as it indeed has Ferris oxide
Appreciate your insight I’m going to try and remove that and see if there’s a noticeable difference over time , worst case scenario could always put another bag in but realized I was getting more growth prior to that elite being in there since I have no sps it makes sense now

OP
OP
Hollywood Hobbyist

Hollywood Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Removed GFO, and feed. Second head of blue/green hammer gave up yesterday so I pulled it. Today the pink hammer wall is look MUCH better. Coloration isn’t quite as pretty to the eye, but the tentacles are extending nicely and it looks much better. I think it’s going to make it.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Removed GFO, and feed. Second head of blue/green hammer gave up yesterday so I pulled it. Today the pink hammer wall is look MUCH better. Coloration isn’t quite as pretty to the eye, but the tentacles are extending nicely and it looks much better. I think it’s going to make it.
The coloration should get better, when bleaching occurs from phosphate deficiency it takes a while for the zoox densities to rebuild. Give it a week.

Back