Help! I think I put too much hydrogen peroxide

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been adding hydrogen peroxide to help with dinos, and its been working. But tonight I messed up and got confused and thought it was 3 ml per 10 gallons instead of 1 ml per 10. It i just hurt my tank and fish?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it w be ok at that level I’ve seen some 5-10 mils used per ten gallons and they barely survived lol that three is ok for most animals.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some seneye studies with peroxide showing paradoxical effects

not once has any practical range of peroxide been shown to negatively impact a biofilter though that rumor persists

of course anything we do impacts bacteria, a full water change when moving tanks to a new home impacts bacteria but we can see in pics it’s not a negative impact or reefers would be very unhappy after move jobs. Placing our arms and hands in a tank impacts bacteria, but not in a way they can’t adapt just fine.

matter of fact, peroxide dosing boosted oxidation rates for a few hours last we checked. (Aerobes like oxygen?)

it would be more accurate based on actual studies to advise dosers they may have just boosted their filtration temporarily but it w go back to baseline soon enough.

Last edited:

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok, when I first started dosing, I went a bit high myself. I noticed the softer LPS like zoa's and clove polyps seemed a bit more ticked off for a while but they extended back out after a couple hours. The fish never even send to notice. Whether or not it impacted anything negatively at a more microscopic scale is hard to say. It certainly seemed to help accomplish what I was after though. I hear some have dosed that high, but it's something they seem to have gradually worked towards. You know how tanks dislike larger swings of anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back